Author Topic: Garey family: walking stick makers in London and Stroud  (Read 889 times)

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garey family: walking stick makers in London and Stroud
« on: Monday 16 December 13 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Edward Garey (1777-1851), born in Stockbridge, Hants (sometimes spelled Geary or Gary). He moved to London and was a carpenter in the Shoreditch area. His son Henry William (born Bishopsgate1813) was a whip maker, and his son, also Henry William (1837-1901), a stick carver who moved to one of the new walking stick factories in the Stroud area from about 1870 to 1890. Brother Walter Eastmead Garey (1843-1867) was an ivory turner in London, and another brother, Richard Thomas, a stick carver who also went to the Stroud factory around 1870 and stayed there. He was my gg grandfather.
Another family of perhaps related Gareys descended from stick dresser William (born 1810), through son William Alfred (Shoreditch1837-1917), also a stick dresser, to his son (another William Alfred, 1860-1887), a walking stick maker again in Shoreditch, and brother Walter (1870-1938) a walking stick filer.
So it seems that a good basis of carpentry skills could be turned to more delicate objects such as whips, ivory, and dressed walking sticks. Richard Thomas's son Marcus George, my grandfather, was also a wood pattern maker at the Baker Perkins factory in Peterborough. So the line continued.
What I would like to know is whether these two families of stick makers are related. Can anyone help? Thanks
Laurence

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Garey family: walking stick makers in London and Stroud
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 December 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurence,
You may very well find the following website useful. I have already interrogated the database of GAREYs born in Stroud and there are a lot! No doubt the marriages and deaths will also prove useful.
The database has been produced by Gloucestershire Archives on behalf of Gloucestershire County Council.
ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx
Good hunting!
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garey family: walking stick makers in London and Stroud
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Victor. There are indeed a few unknown "cousins" in that list, notably in the line of Richard Thomas, my gg grandfather, and his wife Augusta Unger. It will help fill in the tree! But it does not help my trying to link with the other family of stick makers (that from William who remained in the East End).
Best wishes, Laurence