Author Topic: Marriage Lookup - Charles KING to Elizabeths circa 1750-1820  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage Lookup - Charles KING to Elizabeths circa 1750-1820
« on: Monday 16 December 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please lookup in the Oxfordshire Parish Records any marriages for a Charles KING to an Elizabeth, in the period around 1750-1820?

I have one noted down already, for a Charles King to Elizabeth Spencer on 16/11/1772 in Tackley, but there should be another as that one doesn't fit into my tree :\
Keen, Prinz, Printz, Melhuish, King, Croxford, Bedding,

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup - Charles KING to Elizabeths circa 1750-1820
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 December 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Source: Oxfordshire Parish Register Transcripts, Miscellaneous Parishes, Volume 2, Tackley:-
16th November 1772, Charles KING, Bachelor, married Elizabeth SPENCER, Spinster, both of this parish, by Banns.
Witnesses: Mary NELSON & Mary RICHARDS
The following marriage may well be of interest:-
15th October 1753, Thomas KING married Sarah TIDMARSH, both of this parish, by Banns.
Victor  :)
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 December 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Victor, reckon that Thomas=Sarah marriage will fit into my tree somewhere at some point.

Hmm so no other marriages between a Charles King and an Elizabeth anywhere anytime in Oxfordshire apart from that 1772 Tackley one? ???

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I stopped at 1772 when I found the Charles KING and Elizabeth SPENCER marriage. I'll have a look at the post-1772 marriages, up to 1820 for you later in the day as I am on my way to Glos Archives, as it is my volunteer day.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks. Basically there are a group of children born in Tackley between 1770-1780 who have parents of Charles King and Elizabeth, and also a group of children born in Kirtlington between 1803-1818 with parents of Charles King and Elizabeth, but I don't think they are the same parents. I've associated that Tackley 1772 marriage to the first, but haven't been able to find a second marriage.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have re-checked the Tackley PRs and there is NO other marriage there for a Charles & Elizabeth KING. I have checked the baptisms at Tackley for Charles & Elizabeth's (married 16/11/1772) children and think that their first-born is the possible 2nd Charles you are looking for.
13/05/1770, SPENCER Charles the bastard son of Elizabeth SPENCER which she swore to Charles KING of this parish.
11/04/1773, KING Martha dau of Charles & Elizabeth
14/08/1774, KING John son of Charles & Elizabeth (baptised privately)
07/07/1776, KING Mary dau of Charles & Elizabeth
22/03/1778, KING Ann dau of Charles & Elizabeth
11/06/1780, KING Sarah dau of Charles & Elizabeth
I don't have access to the Kitlington so can't check if your 2nd Charles' marriage occurred there.
The Oxfordshire Family History Society would probably check it for you. Hope that helps.
Victor

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking marriages and for that information, much appreciated :)

I agree with you that the son Charles born 1770 is probably the Charles who fathered the Kirtlington children.

There is though no marriage between a Charles King and an Elizabeth that took place in Kirtlington around 1800. This is what confuses me about all this.

However, perhaps there will be if I look for marriage of a Charles *Spencer* rather than King. I'll see if I can get that looked up.

Although the Kirtlington children are stated as those of a Charles King, so perhaps he was just baptised and married as a Spencer and then used King afterwards (by which point, his mother would have married and been King). That could well be what's confused matters.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Good luck with your search. I still think that Oxfordshire FHS may well short-circuit your search.
Merry Christmas.
Victor  :)

Offline simonp17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 December 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I have had a good look at the OFHS database and at the Kirtlington PR, and I cannot find any trace of a marriage between Charles KING and and an Elizabeth in Kirtlington around 1800.

Apart from the marriage in Tackley in 1772 which you know about, there are just two records on the OFHS marriage database where a Charles KING marries an Elizabeth at the time you are interested in, and neither is obviously promising. One is Charles KING marrying Elizabeth WHITE at North Hinksey (then in Berkshire) on 5 June 1797. The other is Charles KING marrying Elizabeth RANDEL from Oxford St Peter in the East at Oxford St Cross on 26 December 1799.

There are no entries at all in the OFHS Oxfordshire husbands database for Charles SPENCER (or SPENSER).

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful.