Author Topic: Symmonds of Brecon  (Read 5201 times)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Symmonds of Brecon
« on: Wednesday 18 December 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could find a baptism for my great great grandmother Elizabeth Symmonds, born around 1824.

In the 1841 census she is a servant at Lion Street, Cantercelly, Brecon (is Cantercelly a part of the town? I can't trace any reference to it).
Her father, Thomas Symmonds, shoemaker, is on the 1841 in St Mary's chapelry with wife Elizabeth (both born out of county) and Mary Ann aged c15 probably another daughter.  There is also a Rebecka Symmonds age 70 possibly his mother and possibly unrelated.

If there is a record of Elizabeth's baptism, and even her parents' marriage or any other children, that would be appreciated.  I believe Thomas may have come from Hereford so the marriage might not have been in Brecon.

Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Symmonds of Brecon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »

In the 1841 census she is a servant at Lion Street, Cantercelly, Brecon (is Cantercelly a part of the town? I can't trace any reference to it).

the address is Lion St  Cantercelly WARD Brecon
Cantercelly ward was in St Mary's Parish

if you put Cantercelly Brecon into a searcg engine you will get quite a few hits

English-Welsh Journal Online
"The ward was the unit of municipal administration which usually took its name from the principal street of the ward, but it included lanes & alleys off that street. Most of the ward names are the same or similar to the modern street names & provided one remembers that Cantercelly Ward corresponds to Lion St , confusion should be avoided"

Have you noticed 1841 census Elizabeth states "no" as to born in county??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you found her in any census after 1841, as that would give a better idea of where she was born?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
All the later census show her as born in Brecon.  She married Richard Twemlow 1858 St Marylebone.

1851 34 Curzon St Westminster, Elizabeth Simmonds, servt 27 House Maid born South Wales Brecon
1881 32 Mill St Bradford Manchester, Elizabeth Twemlow, widow 57 Dress maker, b Wales Brecon
1891 31 Clitheroe St Rusholme Manchester Elizabeth S Twemlow, m in law, widow 67 Brecon

Her 1st daughter Catherine Emma Twemlow was born Feb 1861 in Hereford (per FreeBMD and later census returns), not baptised there but in Manchester aged 13.  So Elizabeth may have been in Hereford for the 1861 census but I have not traced her in 1861 or 1871.

John
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
wonder if this is them??

transcribed as "Twanlow" I read image as Twenlow??

Bewell St Leominster Hereford
Richard Twenlow Heand M 42 Porter All saints Cheshire
Elizabeth wife 37 p.o.b. transcribed as "Cark Lancashire" -very faint - possibly it reads C????e Somersetshire -not at all certain
Julia daughter 2 all saints Hereford
Catherine daughter 1month All Saints Hereford
RG9 1820 19 31

Edited
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
there are not many likely rebecka symonds, even trying spelling variations, even looking for Rebecca's marring a symonds  but there is one born in bodenham in 1773, the next parish to much cowarne where there is a marriage of Thomas symonds to Elizabeth  1821 I think,or 1823.

are we sure Elizabeth is thos and elizabeths daughter in 1841 or just a servant and relative

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Suz, thank you so much for finding them in the 1861 (I can't find it on F-Search but will look again in the library tomorrow).  Of course I erred in saying Catherine was the first child she was the second (of only two).  The elder daughter Julia Symmonds Twemlow never married.
In 1881 Julia is b. Cark, 1901 Cark, 1911 Cartmel (same place really) and likewise Catherine is consistently b. Hereford.  So the family clearly had firm ideas where each of them was born.  And Richard Twemlow was definitely born in Cheshire.  Given the listing you've given from 1861 I'd think the census taker misrecorded his notes.

I am still inclined to believe that Elizabeth was b. Brecon or at least lived there from an early age.  We have a sampler where she has embroidered the alphabet and "Elizabeth Symmonds Brecon 1837".

Mazi, the marriage is a possible, I had to look up Much Cowarne to see if it was in Herefordshire or Breconshire.  As i don't know the records situation in either place, what is the likelihood of getting other details such as parents's names for the marriage or an occupation?  How would one look for a Brecon baptism?

On Elizabeth's 1858 marriage, her father is Thomas Symmonds, deceased, shoemaker which is Thomas's occupation in 1841 Brecon so I'm reasonably sure they are her parents.   

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I've now found the 1861 on Family Search, it is recorded as Swentlow.  That's a new one, I've found Tivernlow before and many other variations!  On F search Richard is correctly b. Cheshire but Elizabeth is b. Cark (rather than Julia) and both girls as b. Hereford (rather than just Catherine).

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
apologies I have mistranscribed p.o.b. on 1861 - Richard was b Cheshire , Elizabeth could be Lancashire Calk -difficult to read 2 daughters both All Saints hereford

Suz