Author Topic: Buttall family from Wrexham  (Read 15636 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buttall family from Wrexham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 December 13 10:28 GMT (UK) »
This would be William Pearce, married Margaret on 9 Jan 1811 (extracted record FamilySearch)?

Re the "Blue Boy" (Gainsborough/Jonathan Buttall) - a sermon was published 29 Mar 1767 on the death of Mrs Elizabeth Buttall
"To Mr James Buttall, the following sermon, published at his request, is most humbly inscribed..........

Those in this assembly who have heard of the death of Mrs Buttall* ..........

* The truly excellent lady here spoken of, after a lingering illness, which she bore with exemplary patience and resignation, died March 13th at Wrexham in Denbighshire, whither she had retired for the air. She was a Consort of the Gentleman to whom this discourse is inscribed, and daughter to the late, and sister of the present Mr Jonathan Buttall, Soho - a family truly respectable in all its traditions".

I imagine "the present Mr Jonathan Buttall, Soho" is not the Jonathan Buttal, supposed subject of Gainsborough's "Blue Boy"? Perhaps the "Blue Boy's" father?

You have presumably seen Samuel Buttall's 1723 will which mentions inheriting property from George Buttall, Wrexham

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 December 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Journal of the Clwyd Family History Society, Hel Achau no 28 page 3 has the following article.

The Family of 'The Blue Boy', the Buttall family of Wrexham. See the Society Website clwydfhs.org.uk. Copies of back numbers can be obtained.
HTH,
Megran.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline YvonneTye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
RE BUTTALLS OF WREXHAM

I live in New Zealand and am a BUTTALL descendant. There are many descendants both here and in Australia who have come down through the BUTTALL/HODGES marriage when Mary BUTTALL, the daughter of Samuel (son of Randle and Jane) married Sir Nathaniel HODGES in London in 1702. Mary and Nathaniel's daughter Mary married Thomas GLASS MD in 1737, Thomas and Mary's GLASS'S daughter Ann married John LOWDER in 1778, John and Ann LOWDER'S daughter Mary Ann married John LEES in 1799, John and Mary Ann LEE'S son William Lowder LEES married twice. After the death of his first wife, Harriet TEW, he married Elizabeth KINNERSLEY in 1845 and they migrated to Melbourne, Australia and then onto New Zealand in 1864. They had 13 children, though John had also had 2 sons in his previous marriage to Harriet TEW. I am a great great grand daughter of William and Elizabeth LEES.
Through my research I have discovered a book first published in 1996 titled "Thomas Glass MD Physician of Exeter" by Alick Cameron. In it are photos of the BUTTALL Sugar House (now called The Retreat) in Topsham, Devon and I quote the following: " The Sugar House deserves mention, not least because the building is still standing. It had passed to Lady Hodges (nee Mary Buttall) from her relative Samuel Buttall (who was in fact her father), an importer of sugar from the West Indies, having purchased the building for his purposes in 1684. The raw sugar was brought to the port of Topsham in barrels, in the form of molasses, thence up the river by lighter, to be refined at the Sugar House and converted into sugar cones."
There are several other references to the BUTTALLS in this book.
It appears that the previous one or two generations of Buttall's in Wrexham were Quakers, though Samuel BUTTALL became a Baptist Minister from about 1690 in Plymouth. I have found the Baptism records of three (possibly six but parents not noted for the other three) of Samuel and Mary's children, namely Mary in 1680, Anthony in 1681, and An in 1685. The other tree were another Anthony in 1678, Nathanile in 1685 and Samuel in 1701. All six Baptism's took place in Charles Church, Plymouth, Devon. This church was bombed in the blitz and it's shell is left as a monument to those who lost their lives during the bombing raids of WWII.
I await further fascinating research snippets from other BUTTALL researchers.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 January 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the many leads. Yvonne, I've sent a personal message to you - I can send some information about the family - still living so can't be made public. Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline devondebs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
hi there.
joined today. my husbands mother , still living, was a torquay pearce by birth. related to the owners of the London inn in torquay. we have just started looking into the family and have found the buttell of topsham connection etc etc

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 January 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi devondebs

I've sent you a personal message with my email address. Let me know if you have problems accessing it - can send information including living relatives which I can't put online. Have also traced the PearceButtall line back to Wrexham.

Look forward to hearing from you

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Yvonne, I am another descendant of Sir Nathaniel Hodges and Mary Buttall; my line goes down from their daughter Frances Hodges who married William Dry.  I was struggling with this part of my tree until ancestry put the PCC wills online and now I have been able to add so many names!  Unfortunately it's not so easy to add exact dates as most of this branch seem to have been non-conformists of one kind or another. 
Anyway, some info that you may not have already: Samuel Buttall in his will which was written in 1718 and proved in 1723, mentions that his wife's mother the late Mrs Wood had left a sum of money to her daughter, his wife Mary, so I worked back from that date through possible Wood wills and found the will of a Joane Wood, widow, of Bristol, from 1713, and she mentions "my son in law Samuel Buttall and Mary my daughter his wife" plus "my grandson Nathaniel Hodges and Mary his wife", among many other names.  It would definitely be worth you having a look at it if you haven't already.  She also mentions "my niece Sarah Buttall and her son and daughter Jonathan and Anne", so there is another connection to the Buttalls which I haven't figured out yet.
I then managed to find the will of Anthony Wood of Bristol, sugar baker, proved 8 Apr 1686, which mentions his daughter Mary Buttall, the wife of Samuel Buttall, and again, it mentions lots of other names. Another one for you to look at.

I haven't managed to find the marriage of Anthony Wood to Joane yet.  There are baptisms at Bristol for some of their children: Samuell 1668, Sarah 1669, Elizabeth 1671 and Joseph 1673 but I haven't found Mary's baptism nor another sister Ann yet.  They would both likely be older so maybe not born in Bristol if Anthony and Joane moved there from elsewhere. 
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, katerimmer ... some years ago I placed a summary of Anthony Wood's will on my website at  www.mawer.clara.net/willsZ.html#wood  and added the query regarding the Buttall name. Thanks for the confirmation.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline YvonneTye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Katerimmer. I do have Frances and William Dry's marriage recorded on my family tree but that is as far as that line goes. I have actually used the name Frances as the second name for one of my daughters. I descend from Frances' sister Mary who married Dr Thomas Glass. I will endeavour to down load the Wills you mentioned. I already had the Samuel Buttall one but it is wonderful to have the other names to look up.
Thank you also Bryan Mawer. I will see if I can purchase your book "Sugar Refiners and Sugar Bakers".