Author Topic: A baptism for Antony SHEPARD 07-05-1644 at Edmondsham  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
A baptism for Antony SHEPARD 07-05-1644 at Edmondsham
« on: Wednesday 25 December 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I realise that it is rather odd of me to be starting a new post here on Christmas day, but the turkey's going to be a long time cooking in the oven.  So...
I have recently been researching the SHEPARD family in Wimborne St Giles, and have come across an Antony SHEPARD, baptised on 7th May 1644, place of baptism given as Edmondsham, close by.  I realise that civil war was raging at the time, so there may have been problems about family continuity, but would there have been any local problems in the Wimborne St Giles area that this individual should be the only member of this family who was baptised here instead.  Is there actually a church at Edmondsham today?
I'm in the process of trying to determine whether this was the Antony SHEPARD who became the devoted gentleman servant of the 1st Earl of Shaftesbury, who went into exile with him and accompanied his body back to Dorset when he died in Holland in 1683...
keith

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A baptism for Antony SHEPARD 07-05-1644 at Edmondsham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
This site may be useful at least for the church  http://www.opcdorset.org/EdmondshamFiles/Edmondsham.htm

Our turkey has an hour to go :)

Kay

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Kay, thanks very much for that, and I trust you're all contentedly patting your stomachs after a successful roast bird…
I've also since googled and discovered that the siege of Lyme Regis was raging for quite a few weeks at the time of Antony's baptism, and it would have been no surprise at all for families in the vicinity to have been both involved and to have been displaced, and for some rites of passage turning up in unexpected places.
keith
p.s. I also note that St Nicholas Church here was rededicated in 1644 - what would that mean exactly - could it perhaps have fallen foul of the warring factions and therefore needed some kind of fresh start or blessing?  Showing my ignorance of ecclesiastical matters yet again!

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 13 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Turkey wonderful even though I say it myself.

By coincidence we were down in Wimborne and Lyme only last week

Sorry re ecclesiastical matters  I know less than you do but maybe it had be altered or extended.  One of the site volunteers may know :)

Kay