Author Topic: Richards of Sardis and Burton  (Read 6969 times)

Offline DD72

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richards of Sardis and Burton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just started researching my ancestry and found this post on the Richards family. Steve....my grandfather was Arthur Richards....your grandfather, George Bertie's, brother.
Arthur had 4 children and named one of his sons Bertie probably after his brother. The others were Horace, my dad - Desmond Richards and Dawn who is the only surviving child. 
I think this makes us 3rd cousins or something like that!!

Offline Steve jr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have checked the info I have and true enough my grandfather had a brother,Arthur. I was too young when my grandfather died to have met any of his family. I did briefly meet my fathers cousin back in 2016 at my fathers funeral (Ken) in Swansea. I don't know his name but my Aunt thinks he was from grandmothers side. It seems the family didn't really keep much contact in later years which is a great shame. I now live in Llangwm with a view of the old farm at Stony Slad over the valley. I have a good family tree written down. This takes us back to around 1750 in the Burton area of Pembrokeshire. As you may have seen, Another person based in Pembroke Dock is also researching and has a lot of information. I would need an email address to send you a copy of our family tree. I am guessing you are based in Swansea as most of the family moved there. Further I have just spoken to my aunt(Sylvia). She remembers Arthur and visited him when she was young with her father. She thinks it was in Three Crosses or Gowerton. She remembers that Desmond worked for Genders butchers. She also worked with Dawn at the DVLA. It may be you have more info on how our family came to be in Swansea? I would be very interested in anything from 1920 to date.
Regards
Steve

Offline LJ68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 November 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thomas Richards and Elizabeth Lloyde are my 2 x Gt Grandparents.  I am related down through Margaret Richards (1870) who ended up living in Fleetwood, Lancashire.  Have you managed to find a birth record for Elizabeth Lloyde (1821) father John Lloyde?

Offline Steve jr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 November 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am directly descended from William Richards age16 in the 1881 census at Stony Slade. It looks like your relative was his sister.
I haven’t looked into his fathers first wife Elizabeth Lloyd. I have included some of the info I have below. The 1861 census shows my 2x great father was married to Elizabeth. Stony Slade is still there, it is a small holding. The main house has tumbled down. I’m not very far from it.
Hope this helps.

1881 Census – Stoney Slade
Thomas Richards, 55, b. 1826 in Nash Hill, Burton – Dockyard Painter & Decorator
Jane, Thomas’s second wife, 51, b. 1822 in Cants Hill, Llanstadwell
Thomas, 21, b. 1860 at Stoney Slade – Dockyard Blacksmith
William, 16, b. 1865 at Stoney Slade – Cabinet Maker
Margaret, 13, b. 1868, also at Stoney Slade

Living at Ferry Hill, Burton was Owen Jenkins and his family:
Owen Jenkins, 46, b. 1835 – a Shipwright
Mary, 41, b. 1840, and their 5 children – William Hugh, 21, b. 1860; Edmund, 17, b. 1864; Alice Mary, 15, b. 1866; Thomas Henry, 13, b. 1868; and Sarah Jane, 11, b. 1870;  Minnie, 7, b. 1874, and Annie 5, b. 1876. Mary’s widowed mother Jane was also living with the family.
Next door lived the Jenkins brothers - Thomas 34, and John, 24. Also Thomas’s wife Martha, 32, b. Marloes, and their 5 children –
William, 13; Joseph, 11; Mary MARIA, 7; Elizabeth, 4; and James, 2.
Also recorded with the family is Thomas Richards, 6, registered as a Boarder, also born in Burton.

1871 Census – Stoney Slade
Thomas Richards, widower, 45, b. 1826 in Stoney Slade – Agricultural Labourer
Mary Ann, Thomas’s single daughter, 19, b. 1852 in Burton – Housekeeper
Thomas, 11, b. 1860; Francis (daughter), 7, b. 1864; and William 6, b. 1865 – all born in Burton.

Living at Pembroke Ferry Cottage next to the Jolly Sailor Public House was the Jenkins family:
Owen Jenkins, 36, b. 1835 – a Shipwright
Mary, 31, b. 1840, and their 5 children – William Hugh, 11, b. 1860; Esmond (Edmund in the 81 Census), 7, b. 1864; Alice Mary, 5, b. 1866; Thomas Henry, 3, b. 1868; and Sarah Jane, 2 month old.

1867 – Martha, wife of William Richards died aged 73. She was buried on the 2nd August.

1865 – Elizabeth Florence Roberts was born in the 2nd quarter of 1865 in Rosemarket.

1862 – William Richards died in the 3rd quarter

1861 – 2nd quarter Owen Jenkins married Mary Howells also from a Burton family. (N.B. Jane Howells, Mary’s mother was living with the family at Ferry Hill in the 1881 Census. She was a 78 year old widow).

1861 Census – Stoney Slade
Thomas, 36, b. 1825 in Burton – Dockyard Labourer
Elizabeth (nee Lloyd), 40, b. 1821 in Haroldston, St. Issells.
Mary Ann, 9, b. 1852; Anne Maria, 6, b. 1855; Elizabeth, 4, b. 1857; Thomas, 1, b. 1860 – all born in Burton.