Author Topic: Wills Family  (Read 7849 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wills Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 December 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
looks like Charles widow died soon after him

Probate calendar
Mary Dawson Wills of Farnsfield Notts widow died 11 Jan 1921. Probate Nottingham 28 June to Albert William Hanford hosiery manufacturer, Charles Richard Wills medical practitioner Elizabeth Ruth Snowdrop McKee(wife of Gilbert Stuart McKee)
Effects £20898 10s

Suz

It looks like Elizabeth Ruth Snowdrop McKee is the daughter of Charles Wills and Mary Dawson Bloomar

These seem to be the children of Charles and Mary Dawson
1. GEORGE FOWLER WILLS
birth reg Jun qtr 1878 Richmond Surrey 2a 351
He appears on 1881 census with parents and sister - I cannot find him after this census - nor can I find a death reg - Charles and Mary did have 5 children but one died before 1911 -wonder if it is him??

2.EDITH MARY WILLS
birth reg FreebMD Mar qtr 1880 Mansfield 7b 93
1881 & 1891& 1901 census she is with her parents and siblings (I have omitted her from 1901 census -as she is on the next page -I will edit now) she was still unmarried at the age of 32 and lived in Mansfield with her uncle William Maltby who was a solicitor - have not found a marriage or death reg for her

3.CHARLES WILLS- your Grandfather? possible birth reg FreeBMD Jun qtr 1881 Mansfield 7b 99. It seems his birth was reg in the name Charles - a middle name of Richard was possibly added at a later date . He is with family in 1891 and I have not found trace of him other than named in probate records -More research needed - who did he marry?

4.ELIZABETH RUTH SNOWDROP WILLS
birth reg freeBMD
Mar qtr 1883 Mansfield 7b 102
with family in 1891/1901/1911
Married Gilbert Stuart McKee (he was the vicar of Farnsfield's son

more soon

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elisabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 December 13 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz, I remember my mum telling me one of her grandfathers sons ran away to America and died in an accident.  Apparently broke her grandmother heart.This sounds like it was George. My grandmother was Elsie Petherwick Fairweather. She died suddenly in her fifties. My grandfather married again to a woman called Majory Ashford I think and this is why a rift developed between my mother and her father. I am led to believe thay had a son who may still be alive. This son is supposed to be some sory of fily skeleton.  Thank you so much for all the information it is facinating. My mother also became a bit of a skeleton herself by marrying my father in the late 1940s because he was unsuitable and the rift with her father and some other members of her family was complete.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 December 13 12:45 GMT (UK) »
If I find any information on the living I will message you as it is RootsChat policy to not post details of the living/recently deceased - (spam etc)

Carrying on with the children
ELIZABETH RUTH SNOWDROP WILLS she married 1912 -you can look that up on www.FreeBMD.org.uk
She died in Cheshire in 1959
Probate
Elizabeth Ruth Snowdrop McKee of Tigh Beag Manley Cheshire (wife of Gilbert Stuart McKee died 18 Aug 1959. Probate Chester 6 June to said Gilbert Stuart mcKee analytical chemist Charles Richard Wills retired physician & surgeon Malcom Alan Peel Smith solicitor
Effects £3450 10s 2d

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
and the youngest child
CHARLOTTE WINIFRED M WILLS
birth reg freeBMD
Sept qtr 1885 Mansfield 7b 95
Marriage reg Jun qtr 1919 Southwell to John James Wagstaff
Charlotte died 1961
Probate
Charlotte Winifred Wagstaff of 43 Stamford Rd Oakham Rutland (wife of John James Wagstaff) died 2 Feb 1961 at Catmore Vale Hospital Oakham Probate Birmingham 18 May to Richard Fowler Wagstaff technical representative & Winifred Mary Hill (married woman)
Effects £16523 0s 9d
It looks like Richard Fowler Wagstaff  was Charlotte's son - Birth reg Sept qtr 1922 Southwell 7b 841 death reg Dec qtr 1968 age 46 Bedford 4a 62 - Charlotte's brother George had the middle name Fowler -and of course brother Charles middle name was Richard.
Wonder if Winifred Mary Hill was Winifred Mary Dickson who was b Turkey and was Charlotte's cousin??

Suz

Offline elisabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I know my mother said some family members lived in kuwait in Consuler Service and possibly Iran. I'm trying to piece together all the varios conversations we had before she died

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hope this will help - I'll just keep posting info as I come across it -if you need tips on researching just ask and one or more of us will help

Going further back Charles Wills' father was George Wills (schoolmaster ) from the marriage cert - I think I have found him and the family -will post that later

Suz

Offline elisabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I think Winifred Mary was my Auntie Freda and married to Uncle David who I often stayed with as a child.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 December 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I haven't yet found a marriage for David Hill/Winifred Mary - may not have been in UK?

This looks like your Grandparents
Marriage reg  FreeBMD
Mar qtr 1910
Winchester 2c 213
Elsie Petherwick Fairweather
Charles Richard Wills

Elsie was born in Stroud Glos and she died 1943 age 56
Probate
Elsie petherick Wills of the Grange Hackney Darley Dale Derbys (wife of Charles Richard Wills) died 5 Dec 1943 at Whitworth Hospital Darley Dale Administration Nottingham 25 Mar to the said Charles Richard Wills physician & surgeon
Effects £441 18s
 They had a daughter who was born in Llanddarog? Carmarthan
Possibly her birth reg
Ruth E M Wills Mar qtr 1911 Carmarthan 11a 1374

although she was on some records as Elizabeth Ruth Mary Wills

Possibly Elsie and Charles had 2 sons and another daughter -will investigate further

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 December 13 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz, I remember my mum telling me one of her grandfathers sons ran away to America and died in an accident.  Apparently broke her grandmother heart.This sounds like it was George. My grandmother was Elsie Petherwick Fairweather. She died suddenly in her fifties. My grandfather married again to a woman called Majory Ashford I think and this is why a rift developed between my mother and her father. I am led to believe thay had a son who may still be alive. This son is supposed to be some sory of fily skeleton.

It looks like Grandfather Charles Richard Wills married less than a year after his first wife died

Marriage reg
Charles Richard Wills
Sylvia Marjorie Ashworth
Sept qtr 1944
Bakewell
7b 2115

so it looks like Sylvia used her middle name of Marjorie - and you were almost correct with her surname

Death reg
Sylvia Marjorie Wills
age 80
Jun qtr 1979
High peak
6 1060

so it doesn't look like Charles & Sylvia would have children together as she would be c.49 when they married -unless of course they had an illegit child together earlier - or Sylvia Marjorie had a son from a previous relationship??

Will see what I can find

Suz