Author Topic: Dating the Quinn Family  (Read 397 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dating the Quinn Family
« on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

It's been a while since I have been on this board, so I hope that everyone is well and that you have all had a good Christmas.

I'm wondering if it is possible to have this photograph dated please. It's not of a brilliant quality but I am in the process of contacting a man who has the original in America who will no doubt provide me with a better copy. Based on the clothing and of course the nature of the colour of the photograph, can anybody give a fairly accurate date for this please?

The man in the centre is believed to be my 3x great grandfather, who I know died in 1904. Based on what comparatively little knowledge I have about photographs and their ages, I'd say this one does pre-date 1904. I'm hoping someone else may be able to be slightly more accurate.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year too!

Regards,

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Dating the Quinn Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
1904's a decent guess...personally I'd have said about 1905-1908 but that's very close. Not as early as 1903 though.

Could you ask your friend in America to scan the whole thing please, including the outer corners. Also the back if there is any printing especially if it's a postcard.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 December 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much china. Ii'll try and push for a reply but it is a busy time of year for most people. I don't think I'll be able to contact the man directly until after the New Year but I'm going to try!

A relative referred to a lady wearing glasses in the photograph but I can't see anyone wearing glasses...which again leads me to want to see a higher resolution photo.

When I get it, I'll post it on here :) It's good to see you agree with the time-frame too.

Regards,

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 December 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Glasses?? :P Yes, ask for a 300dpi resolution. This is as low a resolution as I have ever seen :P

You may have to resize it downwards to get it under the 500kb posting limit. If so, size it down in increments till it's small enough, doing a "save as" every time. Don't save any changes to the original scan, or you'll be stuck with a small photo again.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull