Author Topic: Need help trying to find missing relative  (Read 1650 times)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Need help trying to find missing relative
« on: Sunday 29 December 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have very little about this person and hope someone might be able to help further.

The person I am looking for is a Pheobe   - born 1864 Bridgport Dorset
There is a birth registry for a female * Small  *1864 Bridgport Dorset,  I have not yet purchased  certificate ( I was hoping to avoid the cost as I am sure of surname and parents)

I have found her later in 1881 South Petherton Somerset 11 Banburys Row with her mother Jane * using surname * Jeffrey born 1828 Weymouth Dorset.

Janey was born a Wells partnered Thomas Jeffrey had 4 children with him, Thomas went to America with new partner, I know all about him and his family in America.

Janey married John Small in Channel Islands about 1859,  she had 1 daughter with John, who I know all about,  Pheobe would be also John's.

Why Janey in 1881 is calling herself  & Pheobe Jeffrey I cannot explain, I do know John Small died in Plymouth of Cholera about 1880 and Janey went to live in Somerset lists as widow/ licensed hawker, only a few doors away from her parents Benjamin Wells b 1810 Hampshire / Anne b 1811 Whitchurch Dorset & Son Thomas Wells b 1851 Curry Rivel Somerset

The problem I have I know all about Janey,but after 1881 Census I cannot find Pheobe ?
Can anyone help please ......

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Need help trying to find missing relative
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for a marriage under the various spellings of her christian name?

Phoebe
Phebe
plus the one you are using Pheobe

Coupled with surnames Small/Jeffrey

Have you already discounted the 1890 marriage under Phoebe Small which is on freebmd
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 December 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
The Phoebe who marries in Walsall in 1890 appears to be a Staffordshire girl, so not ours

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabel
Yes I have tried all I know by looking for her under all 3 surnames Small/Jeffrey/Wells..... nothing
She seems to just have disappeared......
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi'
Not sure if it may help and you may have already seen a copy of the book "Gypsies in Britain" by Brian Vesey-Fitzgerald published in 1930 with reference to the Jeffery Family.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.