Author Topic: Baptism record  (Read 2547 times)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism record
« on: Tuesday 31 December 13 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise how I can get a copy of a baptism record, without having to join yet another ancestry provider, e.g. FindMyPast or Ancestry,   from (source) Canterbury Baptism  Transcripts (data provider) Cathedral Archives) For Lillian Mildred Smith (dau)  of Florence Amelia Hexter & Thomas Smith. Bap 30 Mar 1898 at Folkestone, St Peter. Archive Ref U3/180 Year Range 1883/1913.
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Cheat :D ;D
Right Cick on these images Click "save picture as" to a file on your computor then you can print them off. Happy New Year.

copyright images removed by Moderator
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and may you all have a happy new year
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism/birth record
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 14 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Slowly but surely the bricks are falling.
Re the baptism record from Canterbury Cathedral Archives. I used the info on that to ask the GRO to do a birth record search for Lilian covering 1897 and 1898.  They drew a blank. I have checked regular BMDs online to try and find it but also come up a blank. What I am hoping is that somebody from Rootschat with far more experience than I, which is not hard to better I might add, can set me on a different track in finding Lilian's birth details. I am working on the fact that there is a birth certificate due to her being baptised in the church. I could be wrong on that too. Any ideas??

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 February 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Me again, :D ;D
              Have you considered obtaining the cert for this one to check the parents names.
        Dad could have been in the Navy and not had her baptised until they settled  later .(just an option).

Name: SMITH, LILIAN MILDRED……
                         Registration district: Portsea Island  Hampshire
                           Jan-Feb-Mar .1889   Vo l : 2B Page : 531
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 February 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've been looking too  :)

As grandarog doubtless found, this seems to be the only possible birth record for a Lilian Mildred Smith.

The baptism record says that Thomas Henry is an accountant (I think) but I also was wondering if he was/had been on the Navy because there is just one Marriage record which seems to fit a Thomas Henry Smith and Florence Amelia and that is June qtr 1881, Plymouth, vol 5b, page 500. and her maiden name is Hexter.

There are also some Naval Records on The National Archives site for Thomas Henry Smith...several in fact.....so I don't know which, if any, would be for him.

Unfortunately, they doesn't seem to be a birth or census records for Florence Amelia Hexter. Or for Thomas Henry Smith and his family beyond the marriage and baptism but I will keep searching  :)

P.S. Maybe that isn't the birth record, as after searching for a while I can find possible censuses (including the 1911) which seem to muddy the waters. Lilian Mildred does seem to have been born around 1896/99 going by her London Marriage Record, possible 1911 and 1901 censuses, so a birth record of 1889 would be for someone else. Also Thomas Henry says he's an accountant but I may have him on one census as a coastguard.

Don't think I'm helping a lot here  ::) Perhaps I'd best play quietly on my own in the corner  :)     
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 February 14 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi grandarog and Hampshire Lass.
unfortunately that would not be her birth detail grandarog as Lilian died in 2001 as per her death certificate.112 years old she was not. And that certificate is the start of my problems in searching for her birth details. A line is drawn through the question of 'maiden name of woman who has married' 'date and place of birth' has 31th Dec 1897 England.
    Hampshire Lass keep out of that corner, you are doing just fine in trying to help. I have copies of all the census that have some bearing on Lilian and her parents. I also have the 1881 marriage certificate copy which does show Thomas Henry Smith as a merchant clerk and his father,Henry as RN Seaman. so there is a naval link.
Can either of you confirm that there would have to be a birth certificate produced for the baptism to take place?
Keith.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 February 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi beedan,

I can confirm that everyone should have a Birth Certificate after Civil Registration started in 1837....so she should be registered but hers does seem illusive at the moment.

Is the Marriage Certificate you have the one for Plymouth 1881? Please can you give all the details ...ie  their ages, occupation for Florence Amelia and name and occupation for her father and any addresses?

Do you have Thomas and Florence on the 1891 census as I may have Lilian and that's where my confusion starts. She is the right age.....3......born in Folkestone ..... but living with another lady with the surname Smith and her name is entered as Lily. Perhaps it's the wrong census but because her birth certificate is so illusive there is something wrong somewhere.

Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure where to post this

Over the years we all have frustrating moments in our search for those who came before us and in particular those that build brick walls.  Over the past couple of weeks Hampshire Lass has gone out of her way to give me guidance, ideas and at times a bit of laughter. She is like, I would imagine many others in the world of ancestry that selfishly gives up their own time to help those of us with not the experience ( or maybe common sense) to go to the right place in our search.   She has helped me immensely and for that I am very grateful. I just want to publicly thank her on this site. Thank you Hampshire Lass