Author Topic: Louisa Elizabeth Jones died 19 Apr 1908 Orange Gardens Pembroke Burial?  (Read 6367 times)

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louisa Elizabeth Jones died 19 Apr 1908 Orange Gardens Pembroke Burial?
« on: Tuesday 31 December 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am  looking for the burial of Louisa Elizabeth Jones nee Rixon, wife of Calvinistic Minister William Francis Jones.  He died at Orange Gardens Pembroke on 23 Nov 1912 , and I would like to find his burial also.

Thanks
Ricky
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Elizabeth Jones died 19 Apr 1908 Orange Gardens Pembroke Burial?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Ricky
+At the risk of informing you of what you already know Louisa Elizabeth aged 70 died 1908 and Wm Francis aged 72 died 1912 are not buried at Llanion, St Michael’s New Cemetery or Monkton New Cemetery.
+Orange Garden burials are in the main covered by the registers of Pembroke St Mary, however there are just a few references to Orange Gardens at Monkton St Nicholas.
+Yes, I understand Wm & Louisa are N-C, however both St Michael burial register and St Mary burial register,  have reference to N-C burials, these are highlighted in my transcription of the parish registers of Monkton, St Mary and St Michael 1711 to 1950’s. From my book on St Michaels Headstones and Memorials, the Churchyard contains headstones to N-C persons and ministers.
+This to my mind leaves only one location that is used by both N-C and established church for burials and that is St Daniels Chapel of Rest burial yard up behind my bungalow.
+St Daniels does not and never has had its own registers and in the main comes under St Mary registers, but there are some burials at St Daniels for which the funerals took place at St Michael.
+St Daniel old burial area and the Chapel of Rest are now under private ownership, but you can still search with great difficulty. There is a modern area to the west of the church which is still consecrated ground and still used for burials(entries are in the St Mary burial register), I have spent much time up there searching for Military related, Dawkins, Haggers, and Howells among many others.
+Have you obtained the will of William Francis Jones which states quite clearly he died 23 Nov 1912 at Pembroke Dock even though he lived on Mansel Street. The beneficiary being Elizabeth Hibbard wife of William (a surname that does not appear in the Pembroke Reg District). Have you considered that their remains where returned to the Bedwelty area where William Hibbard had married Elizabeth Jones in 1883 and perhaps still lived in the early 20th century.
+I have one other solution to offer based on very personal experience and research. My own ancestor lived in the house he built himself in Saundersfoot. His death was registered at Abergavnney Monmouthshire, his burial took place at Tenby Cemetery, so never assume that the location where the death was registered equates to place of burial.
+On another subject I have just unearthed (literally) the headstone in extremely poor condition of Ann Rixon and her husband Thomas.
Rgds and good hunting for the New Year
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Owen  First let me wish you and your wife a Happy New Year, I sincerely hope that you are on the road to recovery in the coming months.

Thanks for all the information you have given me  in your reply.  The last time we corresponded the CDs were on hold due to frequent trips to doctors and hospital, is it now possible to purchase them?  If so I will certainly do so.

I have only the probate record so far of William Francis, and I did see that it says he died in PD, but overlooked that in my  message!  I am about to order his death certificate from the GRO and will from the Probate Office, I already have that of his wife Louisa. The house on Mansel Street was left to his wife Louisa by her mother Jane Rixon, wife of my GG uncle James Rixon, she (Jane), owned two leasehold houses there and left one to each of her daughters.  Number 9 was let out for many years although William Francis must have been living there in 1911 as the record states   " Rev Jones away Sunday night. No one slept in house"RSW.  By the way the death certificate states that Louisa was 70 at time of death, but her age was at least 75 as she was baptised in 1833.

I have found William Francis to be very elusive so far!  On the 1871 census he is recorded as being born in Vaynor Brecknockshire in 1839, his age is further confirmed by his marriage certificate.  His father is recoded as being Job Jones Gentleman.  There are too many William Jones born in 1839 in Vaynor (10 I think) to order a certificate.  I have yet to find him on any other census.  I do know for a fact that he was at Gilead Manse Pembroke in 1874 and at Llancadle Manse Penmark Glamorgan in 1884.  This I know from his mother-in-laws will written in 1878 and probated in 1884.

A strange twist is that I was born and bred in Barry Glamorgan just a few miles from Penmark and must have passed the Manse umpteen time in my girlhood.  Small world eh?

Anyway thanks again for all the information.

Best Regards
Ricky
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I wracked my brains for a N-C burial ground local enough to be used and still called "Pembroke". The one I overlooked was Gilead Chapel Burial Ground which would is ideal, just up by Maiden Wells.
I'm afraid health has seriously curtailled my work on the finial touches to P.C. Cemetery e-book, St Mary, St Michael and Monkton are all for sale contact me off list.
3 similiar further books are in the pipeline, if only to give me something to do whilst in such poor condition.
I could try to get up Gilead and have a look, but will depend on when I am fit enough.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015