Author Topic: namtu burma  (Read 7833 times)

Offline moirclan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
namtu burma
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
i was wondering if any one can help me as ive been researching for months and have got no where ,
my mother inlaw maureen clarke 1939 died 1971 in perth australia . born in namtu burma , with twin colleen , sister dagmar , adrian and louline  mother was alexia thurston born around 1915 and her father was a station master in burma i cant find any records for her birth in the uk so im thinking she was born in burma and cant find any info .
she married a capt james arthur clarke  who was in the burma  intelligence corps  they managed to get out of burma into india around 1942 i think ,
, i found a obit in the bangalore times 10th april 1945  about her death  naming her husband , her brother roland , and her mother [ no name ] and thats all the info i have been able to find ,
her children were all very young when she died and when they got to australia their father remarried and the past wasnt spoken about ,
i cant even seem to find any info about their father capt james arthur clarke except he died in bunbury western australia some where in the late sixties early seventies .
any help would be appreciated as i am completely at a loss what to do

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: namtu burma
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Possibly her brother Roland :-\
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=7915360

She married James Arthur Clarke under the name Lexie Undine Thurston in 1934.
http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000048479

Mo 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
hi and my welcome to rootschat .
found this passenger record for a james Clarke , departure date 25 nov 1919  destination Bombay , his age 22  occupation captain [ he,s travelling with 5 other officers and some wives ] ship name gurna .

also tried to find a birth for Alexia Thurston but so far nothing in overseas births for definite but there is this one for a female Thurston born fyzabad 1922 page 327 in gro army births 1881 - 1965 .
have you anymore detail on alexias parents names occ and such .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline moirclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
thankyou all so much lexie undine thurston was her name.
 in the death obit i found her under alexia , , i know her brother roland richard thurston died in 1981 in perth australia ,
i have no idea of her parents names only that her father was a station master , i beleive her mother had family [ sisters ] who died in the hands of the japanese , but again its only rumours .
again i cant thank you enough, ive  written to the anglo burmese society ,ive written to the indian records office etc etc and found nothing  , so your info is greatly appreciated
reagrds Helen

Offline moirclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 02:29 GMT (UK) »
i have found out that lexies mother was callled myrtle thurston  she got out of burma with her daughter lexie and son in law james son roland and the 5 female grandchildren , they went bangalore , and then on to western australia with out lexie who died 10th april 1945

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,heres another shipping record,which may be your guy.Do you know which part of UK he came from,see the India Office marriage info gives his fathers name as Alfred.

Arthur James Clarke age 25, Draughtsman,London to Bombay 21 Oct 1921.ship Macedonia,no marital status,travelling alone.Previously residing Scotland.for permanent residence India
Address,82,Clifton Rd Darlington.
The transcription shows another female Clarke with him,but in fact the image shows her as not with him at all.Misleading unless image checked.

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moirclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
thank you for looking for me , but mine is called james arthur clarke , i know he went into the forces young , i dont know where he was born other than the uk , some one mentioned surry or suffolk but i think its guess work on their part , some one posted about the gurna in 1919 to bombay ive rang one of his daughters [ they are getting on in age now ] and she says that sounds familiar ,

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
When James Arthur Clarke married Lexie he was in the 1st Battalion The Buffs which is the Royal East Kent regiment.  Not that it helps much.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 January 14 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mo.the India Office record gives James Arthur Clarke as a Pte,,,,,,which is an Army Private.
The fact that christian names are not in the correct format can happen ie my shipping record,,,especially as his marriage was  an Indian overseas record.and not a British Army one.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk