Author Topic: Johann Faust killed somewhere in America about 1903  (Read 927 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johann Faust killed somewhere in America about 1903
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Johann Faust, born in Dortmund, Germany, was allegedly a small scale showman who made trips to the USA from Germany with his family troupe. The rumour goes that while he was on a trip to the USA he was shot in approx 1903 by someone he owed money to.
I managed to find his wife Mina and their two oldest sons Johann (my grandfather) and Carl, both just babies, arriving in NY aboard the ship Noordland in October 1891, but cannot find any trace of Johann Snr or any record of the family on any other occasions. They didn't emigrate to the US.
Can anyone help me build on this admittedly vague information?
Thanks
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Johann Faust killed somewhere in America about 1903
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 January 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Greygirl,   
Do you have a Birthdate for Johann?  His parent's names ?
Do you know where he might have died?

Murphy

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 January 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a passenger list for a ship departing from Hamburg on 20 Dec. 1902 to Boulogne, Plymouth, & New York that contains a Mina Faust, age 32, married.  There don't appear to be any other Fausts with her.  This looks like her listed as Faust or Jaust on the Ellis Island site - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JFPW-4YX

There is also a Hamburg passenger list departing 25 Feb. 1902 to Southampton, Cherbourg, & New York with a J. Faust, male, single, age 31, resided Hamburg.  Not sure if he's your guy.

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 January 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphy and Shellyesq
No I don't have a birthdate for Johann, though I know he was born in Dortmund in Prussia. Mina's maiden name was Kaprolath (Wilhemina Emma Olga Kaprolath) and she was born in Dortmund so the Mina Faust arriving on Ellis Island on board Graf Waldersee who is Austrian may not be the right person. Thanks for the link to this. The handwriting is difficult to read, but she seems to speak Hebrew (maybe) and I'm not aware of any Jewish connection. This Mina is going to stay with a friend Leonardo something in Newport. Do any of the other ships manifests give more information?
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Johann Faust killed somewhere in America about 1903 *COMPLETEED*
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Found at last. Died 1907 in Dortmund!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for letting everyone know - not sure Murphy60 has been around for a number of years unless she is incognito  :)

Perseverance paid off -  really pleased for you - well done, Just shows people should never give up.  :)

Take Care
Stay Safe
Sandra  :)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada