Author Topic: Isle of Man passenger lists to Australia  (Read 9773 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Man passenger lists to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
try looking up on www.imuseum.im but suspect you may be looking for a Roman Catholic marriage and I'm not sure those have been entered
There are no Manx birth certs until start of civil reg in 1877
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips everyone. No luck so far but I'll keep looking.

Cheers, Anne

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Wondered if you had any luck re shipping for John and Mary McVeigh.  Their daughter Mary Elizabeth McVeigh born about 1843/5 married William Schwennesen in 1866 at RC Church Carisbrook Victoria.
my husband is related to them.   Any news greatly appreciated.  From Diane Western Australia.

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 15 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane,

Unfortunately I hit a road block with Mary McVeigh/McVey. I've searched all the passenger lists arriving in Melbourne around the time she supposedly arrived. I don't even know if she came with her parents (John and Mary) or by herself.

Her last name is sometimes recorded as Smith so I was planning to search through all the original passenger microfiche for all the Mary Smiths - a big job which I have been putting off. 

However, I did find a record of Mary arriving in Western Australia from Victoria after her husband, William Otto Schwennesen had died in 1893. She arrived in Albany with her youngest son Theo (Theodore) on the 'Adelaide' from Melbourne on 8 April 1897. Theo 'Nugget' died in 1935 and is buried in the Northcliffe Pioneer Cemetery.

Cheers, Anne

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 October 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
There is an 1847 Roman Catholic marriage of a John Mcveagh to a Mary Mcnelly (McNeily in bapt) 24 May 1847 - witnesses william hinds;eleanor hinds (tho Wm Hinds is a witness in another marriage - notably a John Mcnelly to an Anne Fagan on 20 Oct 1848 their son James was baptised 1848-04-26 but can't find fam in 1851 census - is this too late for your John + Mary ?
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 October 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,

Mary Elizabeth McVey's parents were supposedly John Macvee and Mary Elizabeth Macgee (according to her marriage certificate). I think 1845/46 is most likely when she was born although one record puts her birth year about 1836.

Mary's maiden name is sometimes recorded as McVey/Mackvea/McVeigh, Smith McVey and sometimes just Smith. I'm not sure why. She was a spinster when she married in Australia in 1866.

She supposedly arrived in Australia about 1863.

Cheers, Anne