Author Topic: Mums vandalism!  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mums vandalism!
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:10 BST (UK) »
When my mum was learning to write she got hold of some of the family snaps which had the date on the back and decided to write the dates in the middle of the photos quite heavily in pencil. So I not only have the date but an indented date aswell. Can this be removed? I presume I should not just try and rub it out with a rubber and this wouldn't help with the pressure marks. They are black and white glossies from 1928.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mums vandalism!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
You can buy from art shops a tin of "Draughtsman's Powder" - may be hard to find - I have had mine for years. This is powdered gutta percha and is used by rolling the powder over a surface with a pad of tissue paper. If you cannot find it  then buy what was called a "gum eraser" or two, and mince up in a coffee grinder or some similar device.
The indentations may be rolled out to a large extent by using a dried up felt marker to apply pressure.
Don't blame me if it does not work perfectly [ In that case you should send your Mum to bed without any supper] but I do restore hundreds of old maps and prints and occasional photos with similar problems.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
You could also try white vinyl eraser (such as Staedetler "Mars" erasers) and with a sharp knife, cut a little wedge off one end.  Then with the thin end gently wipe at the pencil marks.
If she's pressed so hard that the indentation is coming through on the image side, you may not be able to remove all the pencil!
Apart from looking a bid dodgy, there's probably no real damage to the image part of the photo.  If you have any that are particularly precious, you should contact a qualified conservator who will be able to flatten out the pics somewhat.
Hope this helps.
Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
The indentations may be rolled out to a large extent by using a dried up felt marker to apply pressure.

Oops, forgot to mention...I would not recommend any interference with the IMAGE SIDE of a photograph of any age or process.  It is very easy to do permanent damage that may not be immediately visible to you.  A conservator can gently humidify objects and then dry under light pressure, amongst other treatments, to remove lumps and bumps.  And it will not cost as much as you might think - but it's cheaper than having them try to repair any damage that you might do if you attempt treatment at home.
My advice.
Prue

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Prue

I'm sorry I was not clear the damage is on the image side.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 05 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hackstaple

Thanks for the info. Is this OK on the image side?

Jane

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
Yes - very unlikely to worsen the situation. The problem with using an eraser in the ordinary way is that you may peel off the emulsion surface. The method I proposed is very gentle and does not apply a pointed pressure to any place. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 05 23:56 BST (UK) »
I just had a thought. Looking at the images there seems to be purplish cast to the writing. Is this so or is it black/grey? If it is purplish then this is indelible pencil. Then I will have to give you some other advice. 8)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 05 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
It is not advisable to use grated eraser or document cleaning powder on the emulsion side of a photograph.  Contrary to what Hackstaple has said (sorry, Hackstaple!), this is MUCH more likely to cause disruption to the photographic emulsion (particularly cracked emulsion) than anything you can do with a thin chip of vinyl eraser. 
The problem with the pre-made document cleaning powder is that it is quite gritty and can cause abrasion to more delicate surfaces, such as photographic emulsions.  Also, gum erasers are made from rubber which can leave a residue on your objects, which will degrade over time and adversely affect the object.
White vinyl erasers are soft and non-gritty, and by using a small chip you are working on a very small area of the photo at any one time, and you can control your actions easily.  Also you will not be putting very much pressure on the surface.
I am happy to explain further, or offer more advice if you need it.
Prue