Author Topic: Samuel Wilkinson, Bird in Hand Hotel, Stafford  (Read 1093 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Samuel Wilkinson, Bird in Hand Hotel, Stafford
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find a link with my 3xggf Nathaniel Francis bc 1816 and his brother Richard WATSON bc 1811 both of Stafford, to SAMUEL WILKINSON.  I have found on Genuki: 1830, Samuel was at the Bird in Hand Hotel, Earl Street, Stafford 

Both boys were sent as convicts 'down under' 1834 and 1837 respectively and went on to marry the Edward sisters. 

When Richard's daughter Elizabeth (and son John Alexander) both married in 1883, nuptials were announced in the SMH and on her's   " and grand niece of the late Samuel Wilkinson late of Bird in Hand Hotel, Stafford".  However on JC's announcement, shown just as 'nephew' of SW.

Have Nathaniel's death certificate 1884 and parents shown as Richard Watson and Agnes Williamson. However the NSW Deaths 1887, Richard's mother's name is shown as Sarah but don't know what maiden name as have yet to purchase his DC.  Also, I haven't located baptismal records of either.

Thanks any assistance.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Wilkinson, Bird in Hand Hotel, Stafford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
The Bird in Hand was built for Samuel Wilkinson in 1800 and he was listed there till 1828

http://tinyurl.com/oater48

He died "of advanced age" on 1 November 1832 (?) ("Thursday last" per Staffordshire Advertiser, 3 November 1832)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Got a few snippets which may help.
Nathaniel Watson baptised St Mary stafford 11.8.1816 to Richard and Jane.
Elder son Samuel Wilkinson Watson baptised 7..4.1815
Nathaniel is described as a carpenter's boy and this may his family 1841
Snow's yard Stafford
Richard Watson joiner 55 not born Staffordshire
William 15 lab same
Edward 12 shoe maker N
There is a possible baptism for the boys at St Phillips Birmingham
Edward born 1.3.1829 bap 20.3.1837 to Richard and Ann  Edgbaston St carpenter
William henry 14.3.1825 Bull St born 18.11.1824 and his brother John born 17.12.1822.
This would fit with Nathanial's trial in Warwickshire 1832
Richard Watson married a Jane Wilkinson at castle Church Staffordshire  25.2.1805  so before Richard's birth(sorry I can't find his baptism).
Possible baptism for Jane 5.11.1775 Seighford to Samuel and Elizabeth Wilkinson
Sisters Ann 22.11.1772 and Elizabeth 22.11.1767 but it wouldn't be a surprise if they had a son Samuel whose baptism I can't find, or that Samuel Wilkinson of the Bird in Hand is her father.
ps there is a second possible marriage for Richard Watson senior widower at Aston Juxta 5.3.1822 to Ann Harborne wit James and Frances Heritage . James and Ann made their mark.
Samuel Wilkinson was 74 when he was buried at St Mary's 4.11.1832,baptsim 20.4.1759 Seighford to Samuel and Elizabeth.(I didn't look early enough)
Ciderdrinker

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 14 05:27 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ - many thanks links to Bird in Hand Pub and obit notice.

Ciderdrinker- Wow - your snippets are fantastic - thanks.  Have been working through all the info.

One thing I found was the possible death of Jane Watson nee Wilkinson - burial 08 Aug 1821 which could tie in with Richard's re-marriage 1822 to Ann Harborne.

Will now purchase Richard Watson junior DC 1887 to see surname of mother's name.  Found his obit
which said he was 'a native of Birmingham' - interesting. 

However what has me puzzled, you would think that the marriage notices in SMH of would have said ggd daughter and ggs of Samuel Wilkinson ?

Thanks again, Bonnie

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes it is a bit confusing.
Samuel Wilkinson of the Bird in Hand Stafford ,was Nathaniel and Richard's uncle .
Presumably they would have know him well.It just so happened that their Grandfather had the same name ,but I' m assuming he was probably already dead by the time Richard and Nat where old enough to remember.
The Bird in Hand was also built for Samuel and was a grand affair and a local landmark.More striking  than either of Richard Watson's home or the grandfather Samuel Wilkinson.
You often get more mention of a rich successful relative.
Ciderdrinker

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 January 14 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker unable to obtain Richard Watson's death certificate until end of month when the translator, I use, for NSW BDM returns from holidays.
Thanks again your help, appreciated. Bonnie

Offline Opera2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
So confused. Who is Nathanial Watsons (3x great grandfather) parents & grandparents. I have his convict info and life in England but nothing from his life in England.