Author Topic: The Greengrocer  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Greengrocer
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 20:59 BST (UK) »
If anyone would like a go at improving this image please feel free. My mum is sat on the horse and she thinks it was the greengrocer.

By the way what are these sort of photos called. They are a cross between the old sepia, because of the colour, and black and white, because of the size and glossy finish.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
My greatgrandmother and her sister
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:03 BST (UK) »
Another faded glossy sepia. One of the women was born in 1870. I can't tell which one is Greatgranny as the image is so faded. Please would anyone like to work their magic? Its too advanced for me at the moment.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Greengrocer
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 05 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
   These picture are fairly easily fixed. You need to adjust the Levels. In the picture below you can see on the left before I adjusted the levels, there is white space. If you drag the little sliders from either side of the histogram to the edge of the data, see the picture on the right, you will see a marked improvement. Then use your clone stamp tool and clean the scratches and cracks.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 05 07:02 BST (UK) »
Deadants

I can't believe it is so easy.

Thanks

Jane

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 07:34 BST (UK) »
Jane,

the prints look like Gelatine Printing Out Paper prints to me.  There would have been a film of negatives, and then the neg would have been put on top of photographic paper, squished into a printing frame with a glass top, and the whole lot put out in the sun to print out, before going inside to wash and fix the image.  They also tend to lose alot of contrast at times, due to some dodgy fixing processes!  Didn't wash them for long enough or something...too impatient to see the results probably!

The warm red-brown image colour is a good indication that this is a printed out print.  The silver making up the image is in a different form from the silver in a "really" black and white image.  The "really" B&W ones are Developing Out Paper prints, which means that they were processed more like we are used to today - briefly exposed to the light through the negative, and then the picture is developed out in a chemical bath.
Prue

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue

Jane