Author Topic: William Young and Mary Duff marriage Glasgow 1817  (Read 3386 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Young and Mary Duff marriage Glasgow 1817
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Leave this all with you for tomorrow  :)

NOTICE.
THE Business of Plumber and Brassfounder carried on
under the Firm of J. & W. YOUNG in Galbraith
Street, Stobcross, Glasgow, of which the Subscriber John
Young, Plumber and Brassfounder, Galbraith Street
there, was the sole Partner, having been sold as at the
1st day of March 1905, was DISSOLVED as at that date,
and Mr. Young has ceased to have any interest therein.
The Subscriber John Rowland Broadfoot will carry on
the Business under the same name for his own behalf,
and will complete and implement all contracts and orders
placed with Me^rs. J. & W. Young, and current at and
since 1st March 1905, and will discharge all liabilities
incurred by the Business since that date.
Mr. Young will collect all debts due to, and pay all
liabilities incurred by, the dissolved Firm up to 1st March
1905, at Galbraith Street, Stobcross.

www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/11706/pages/262/page.pdf

Sons John and William carried on the business? Not what you are asking for Westee, just get curious  ;)

Further Inventories for sons John and William on Scotlands People?:

John Young, 10 Oct 1905, Plumber and Brassfounder, 56 St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow. Died 28 Aug 1905at Tighnabruaich. Testate. Glasgow Sheriff Court. Inventories Ref SC36/48/197 - 5 pages.

William Young, 3 Dec 1901. Plumber, 41 St vincent Crescent Glasgow. Died 25 Oct 1901 at Rocklee Rothesay, testate. Will. Glasgow Sheriff Court. Ref. SC36/51/129 - 5 pages

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this for further info-
This is what makes me have doubts about the 1841 entry I posted-
John Young was born in 1823 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X17G-1LN
William Young in 1825- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X175-7WL
and Robert Young in 1820 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X17P-786

This would have made Robert 21 in 1841 yet he is recorded as 11 below a 15 year old John??
John at 18 might have had his age dropped to 15 on the Census but Robert should have been older.
Unless, of course the first Robert died and another child called Robert who's birth record is not on Familysearch was born later :-\ Just like the 2 Marys Monica posted.

Have looked for a possible 16 year old William on the 1841 Census living and probably working away from the family home but haven't turned up a likely candidate.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »

Further Inventories for sons John and William on Scotlands People?:

John Young, 10 Oct 1905, Plumber and Brassfounder, 56 St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow. Died 28 Aug 1905at Tighnabruaich. Testate. Glasgow Sheriff Court. Inventories Ref SC36/48/197 - 5 pages.

William Young, 3 Dec 1901. Plumber, 41 St vincent Crescent Glasgow. Died 25 Oct 1901 at Rocklee Rothesay, testate. Will. Glasgow Sheriff Court. Ref. SC36/51/129 - 5 pages

Monica

Looks like the 2 brothers must have done well in the plumbing business with John dying in Tighnabruaich and William at Rothesay :)

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I may have to track back.
The marriage of William Young, weaver, Anderston and Mary Duff residing here married 19 June 1817. 
Children: Robert 1820; John 1823; William 1825; Mary 1827; Robert 1829; Mary 1831.   Robert born 1820 was stated to be their 2nd child, but can't find any other earlier children.

So would it be possible for William Young weaver to become a plumber within this short period of time?

On Robert's birth registration 622/00 0080 0018 Barony 1820, he is stated to be a Plumber. So from 1827 to 1820 he has moved up in the world??
What do you think.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
William Snr, husband of Mary Duff, certainly seems to have started a successful business in his time which seems to have been carried on by his two sons John and William.

He was young at marriage where he showed as a weaver (maybe the rest of his immediate family were too, which is not unusual). You have him showing as a plumber by the time son Robert (no.2 child) was born 3 years after the marriage. That works...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Ah, so Robert on the 1841 Census is the second child in the family to be named Robert.
So it looks like we are with the right family after all.
I agree with Monica, William snr. may have started life as a weaver but it's perfectly reasonable for him to have changed occupations.
You might never find a record of child no 1. The couple  (like many people, especially in the city at that time) appear to have lost three/ four? children. Do you know what happened to young Robert?

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 January 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
So very good of you to help with this family.  It seems that this may not be my line now, as my William Young was definitely in London and married by 1847 in Southwark. Indeed, by not being there in the 1841 census alerted us to the fact that we had the right family. But alas, no.

However, when my William married in 1847 London, his occupation was noted as "Rulemaker". This was stated on the children's birth registrations etc.  Born about the same time as the William above, we just cannot find him.  His states his father was William Young, ane possibly a Rulemaker as well, and from Glasgow.

Don't know if you can help with this at all? :'(

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 January 14 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westee,

So you are back to square one with William Young :'(
And therefore parents names and siblings names could be entirely different - apart from you having the record that William gives his father's name as William.
I couldn't find on Freecen anyone in Scotland with the occupation Rulemaker on the 1841 Census (maybe there was an alternative job title!)
Did William have children (I assume he did if he's your direct ancestor :) )?
Can you tell us who he married and the names, including any middle names of his children?

Finding a William Young in Glasgow (or perhaps anywhere is not going to be an easy task), but don't give up yet!

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 January 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, back to square one unfortunately.
Child for William Young, Rulemaker, London May 1845, died the same day.(Mother's name Mary).
2nd child (named William) for William Young, Rulemaker, London Jan. 1847
Marriage to Agnes Bulloch June 1847.
She was living in the Workhouse at the time of birth in 1847. You can see marriage took place 6 months after child William was born.
They left London and went to Brighton where two other children born:- Alexander b. 1849 Brighton, Agnes 1853 also in Brighton.
1851 census Brighton has William Young Rule maker and Mary his wife with chldren William born Mddx., Alex., and Agnes.
All the way thru their ages have not matched up at all hence the difficulty in finding William in Glasgow.
Also, she used the name Mary for the child that died and again in Brighton in 1841 census, but with marriage and other children used Agness.
William death cert. in New Zealand in 1908 have him and Agnes aged 17 yrs being married in Glasgow.
A few porkies here to cover up - but what I don't know.
Was she so young and he ran away with her.!!
Anyway, can we keep this information off the internet please?  Most important for me to keep this info private.
I don't want to have this broadcast over Google - thanks.