Author Topic: Look up please, if possible  (Read 8479 times)

Offline dogdocla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please, if possible
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
William James Somerville's first wife, Mary Smyth, was was my great grand aunt.

Mary's parents immigrated to Canada in the late 1860's and left her in the care of her father's uncle, James Smyth. Mary lived with James until he died in 1899, and she inherited most of his estate. Two years later, she married William and they had five children. Mary died in 1913.

William married Eliza Steenson in 1915 and they had one son, Samuel James Somerville in 1922.

Then, my tree just stops. I cannot find marriage or death records on any of the 6 children, except possibly one son Robert John Somerville who died in Dungororan in 1929.

I would love to fill in some of the blanks in my tree. MulhollandHart, is your family tree online to see?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Offline MulhollandHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
Long time no speak. Hope you are well.

Ive been looking at this part of the tree and wondering what happened to them all. my branch and yours. Curious.

Anyhow, Mary Smith (Smyth) what was her parents names? James is her Uncle or the uncle of the dad, Who were her parents. Do we know why they left her behind? was she the only one to be left or were there more. Seems sad to leave a little baby behind.

Offline dogdocla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:46 BST (UK) »
Mary Smyth was born to Hugh Smyth and Jane Booth in 1864. Her birth record was later commented on in the margin (see attached photo): "This child's father has migrated to America. The uncle has the care of the child."

Hugh immigrated to Canada in 1865 and Jane in 1868. I am guessing that they did not bring little Mary along, as they might have been uncertain about their lives in the new world.

"Uncle" is not well-defined here. Is it Mary's uncle, or the uncle of one of Mary's parents?

1) James Smyth was born in 1820. Hugh was born in 1841, and his siblings were born in 1843 & 1849. I doubt that James and Hugh were brothers, because that would mean their parents had children over a 30 year period with a 21 year gap between the first and second child.

2) Hugh's father was Robert Smyth. Robert & James were tenant farmers in Corkhill in the 1820's & 1830's. I believe that Robert & James were brothers.

3) According to civil birth registrations, James & Mary Smyth never had a daughter named Mary, yet James left most of his estate to his "daughter Mary," who lived with him in Corkhill. This Mary was born in 1864.

So, James was most likely Hugh's uncle.

My next goal in researching the Smyth branch is to find a grave marker for James (died 1899) and his wife Mary McKinley (died 1871). They seemed have been "well-off" enough to have purchased a grave marker or two. There are some attractive cemeteries near Corkhill, I just need a local cemetery enthusiast to do my search.

Offline MulhollandHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
How did they get on in Canada?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
My grand father was Charles Sommerville Lucas,    born circa 1882 in Liverpool.

Mother  a McCoy  from Fivemiletown   and father John Lucas,   born circa 1850.      I wonder if my grandfather was a cousin?

Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline MulhollandHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
Quick possibly, who were the grandparents? Do you know.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
No sorry,  I have not gone further back than John Lucas and his wife Miss McCoy.

Have you searched for your missing people in Liverpool?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Mary's parents immigrated to Canada in the late 1860's and left her in the care of her father's uncle, James Smyth. Mary lived with James until he died in 1899, and she inherited most of his estate. Two years later, she married William and they had five children. Mary died in 1913.
William married Eliza Steenson in 1915 and they had one son, Samuel James Somerville in 1922.
Then, my tree just stops. I cannot find marriage or death records on any of the 6 children, except possibly one son Robert John Somerville who died in Dungororan in 1929.

William James & Mary Somerville in 1911 with their 5 children-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Crossdernot/Corkhill/864752

Births (which will help in searching further):
Sarah E.E. Somerville 4 Nov.1902 Dungannon district (mother Smith)
Florence Isabella Somerville 5 June 1904 Dungannon dist. (mother Smith)
William James 14 Apr.1906 Dungannon dist. (mother Smyth)
Robert John 17 Nov.1907 Dungannon dist. (mother Smyth)
Mary V.K. registered July/Sept.1910 Dungannon dist.

William's Will might mention his surviving children-
Somerville William James of Corkhill Rock county Tyrone farmer died 3 November 1946 Probate Londonderry 16 February to Richard Somerville and Joseph Benson farmers. Effects £106 5s.

This is 'uncle' James Smyth-
Probate of the Will of James Smyth late of Corkhill County Tyrone Farmer who died 28 December 1899 granted at Armagh to Thomas MacGregor Greer Land Agent. Will mentions son Robert (living in America) and daughter Mary (living with him).
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Mary Smyth in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Crossdernot/Corkhill/1735734
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
Online trees provide a bit more detail-

Florence Isabella Somerville died 1980 Corkhill
Sarah Elizabeth Evaline Somerville
William James Smyth Somerville
Mary Victoria Kathleen Somerville

Gravestone for William James Somerville & wife Eliza-
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=128716980&ref=acom

My next goal in researching the Smyth branch is to find a grave marker for James (died 1899) and his wife Mary McKinley (died 1871). They seemed have been "well-off" enough to have purchased a grave marker or two. There are some attractive cemeteries near Corkhill, I just need a local cemetery enthusiast to do my search.
Church of Ireland keeps burial register so even if there is no headstone there might be an entry in the register- which will probably only list name, date of burial & residence.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!