Author Topic: DAVID WALTERS OF LANGWITH, DERBYSHIRE.  (Read 12394 times)

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVID WALTERS OF LANGWITH, DERBYSHIRE.
« on: Thursday 09 January 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, im trying to trace DAVID WALTERS of Langwith, derbyshire. He was born in 1920. His father was called James. He married Margaret Yates in Whaley Thorns church on the 9th Dec of 1939. He was a colliery worker (probably in Langwith pit) and he lived at 110 Bathurst terrace in 1939. Try as i might i cant find anything on him that fits in with what i've already got.
Theres a possibilty that his maternal grandmother was called May Bytheway, and he lived with her.
Any info anyone has will be gratefull recieved.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID WALTERS OF LANGWITH, DERBYSHIRE.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 January 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi a possible birth for you, and welcome to Rootschat!

David W Bytheway March qtr 1920 Mansfield 7b 210 Mothers maiden name Bytheway

Mansfield covers the parish of Upper Langwith

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 14 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for such a speedy reply..it could be him. The fact is theres so much family intrigue, kids born "out of wedlock" as it was back then, when the stigma of being a "bastard" ruined you for life, especially in a small pit village like Langwith.
As he's registered as Bytheway, and his mother aswell, could mean that the father was "unknown" or married to another woman at the time, or they wanted it to be kept a secret.
Theres a saying here in Spain "pueblo pequño, infierno grande" which means "a small town is a big hell", and i imagine back then it would have been, all the wagging tongues, finger pointing and the rumour mill going into overdrive. Again, thank you !! :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Possibly as the middle initial is "W" David's middle name could be Walters -often illegit children were given a middle name after their father.
On the marriage he names his father as James Walters - an indication he knew his father (or made his name up?)
It would be worth sending for his birth certificate to see who is named as mother  -then you can find who she married??

Where did David die? (and his gran -did she die in Derbys??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to start with a big thanks for the reply. :)
Well, if the rest of my research is right, the "w" will be "Walters", his father is called James, and his grandfather was called David, hence his name.
My paternal grandmother, Davids wife, died of Pnuemonia (nothing new in a pit village) in 1944, and her mother blamed him for the death, stating that if she'd never have been with him and got pregnant and weak etc..
Until a few years ago my mother didnt even know that the old lady who lived next door to her as a kid was actually her paternal grandmother, and that was the reason why whenever she gave my mother a gift, her maternal grandmother (with whom she lived after the death of her mother) would go crazy and throw it away. :-\
They were neighbours, typical boy next door leaving the neighbours daughter pregnant etc etc etc.
To spite David after the death of my grandmother, they sent my mother, his daughter, to live in Hull, with her Aunt who i grew up thinking was my grandmother, but it was actually my great aunt.
As to his death and his life post the wedding in 1939..we know nothing. Thats basically one of the reasons im doing this. My mother never knew him. She's 74 now, and i'd like to find out what happened to him so i can tell her, may she can get some peace then.
And yes, i've sent to the GRO for the birth certificate.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Please come back and tell us the mother's name on the birth certificate - we may then be able to help more without guessing.

Who were witnesses at David's wedding

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The witnesess were George and May Bytheway. My mother always says these were Davids grandparents..maternal i suppose.As for his mothers name i tell you when the certificate arrives. However Davids family ive traced back to 1535. I just need his mothers name.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
My father was born and raised in Langwith. I asked him if he knew of the names but he doesnt.

Just for your interest i do have ONE page of names out of the Langwith Colliery wage panel dated 1938. I checked but none of the names you mentioned are on the page but all the same if you would like a copy of it just PM me your email.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Possibly George Bytheway may have been a great uncle - will wait until birth cert to arrive to see what mother's name is - no guessing

How have you managed to get back to 1535 with David's line ??? How do you know who his father was??? I know father was named on marriage cert - but that could have been his grandfathers name or a made up name or of course his father's name???

Suz