Author Topic: VEIGHEY, Cavan  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Ancient Geek

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
VEIGHEY, Cavan
« on: Friday 10 January 14 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope this gets through!  Intended for "Veighey", Please forward if nec. Mr/Madam Moderator.

My paternal grandmother was a Miss Vahey; I have traced her line to her g'father, who was Head of a school about 5-7 miles from Killeshandra, c. 1835-1845, and progressed further with a teaching career in Scotland.
  He rests in Belfast City Cemetery.
He was a Cavan man, a John V??(spelled variously)  was Head in 1826.
  My g-uncle believed the family were Huguenot originally. My surprise, on finding that there was a small H. community at K!  So small that they were below the level at which the CoI could fulfil promise to build a church for them. So presumably they attended the K. CofI parish church, whose registers survive from 1735; is this on line anywhere, preferably free of charge??
   If anyone tries look at this I'd say that Any spelling/Mis-Spelling is possible!
  They were intended to be a practical community, weavers & growers of flax for linen. One man got away & became a popular doctor in Dublin, never lost touch with K.
  I hope that this has done more to open doors than to bring a shower of bricks down; it is the sad side-effect of breaking down Brick Walls.   sincerely, Ancient Geek

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Messages, Replies and E-mails - VEIGHEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I hope this gets through!  Intended for "Veighey", Please forward if nec. Mr/Madam Moderator.

My paternal grandmother was a Miss Vahey; I have traced her line to her g'father, who was Head of a school about 5-7 miles from Killeshandra, c. 1835-1845, and progressed further with a teaching career in Scotland.
  Hi Ancient Geek,

Delighted to hear of someone else searching for VEIGHEY information. Do you have any more information on John Veighey's family and the name of the school where he was a Head teacher ?
My father's family came from Killeshandra.

Regards

Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ancient Geek,

I haven't heard back from you yet on this posting, but forgot to ask the name of your grandmother.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 16:27 BST (UK) »

My g-uncle believed the family were Huguenot originally. My surprise, on finding that there was a small H. community at K!  So small that they were below the level at which the CoI could fulfil promise to build a church for them. So presumably they attended the K. CofI parish church, whose registers survive from 1735; is this on line anywhere, preferably free of charge??
   If anyone tries look at this I'd say that Any spelling/Mis-Spelling is possible!
  They were intended to be a practical community, weavers & growers of flax for linen. One man got away & became a popular doctor in Dublin, never lost touch with K.
  I hope that this has done more to open doors than to bring a shower of bricks down; it is the sad side-effect of breaking down Brick Walls.   sincerely, Ancient Geek

Does anyone have any information on the Huguenots and Killeshandra ?

Thanks
Margaret

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: VEIGHEY, Cavan
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:30 GMT (UK) »
There was some interesting information on this thread about the HUGENOTS.
However I noticed Ancient Geek has not been online since 2014.
Does anyone else know about this group of people called The HUGENOTS ?

Thanks

Margaret :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
All you have to do is google "huguenots & killeshandra" and lots of links come up. Here's one example-
Approximately 5000 French Huguenots came to live in Ireland. The largest Huguenot settlements in Ireland were in Dublin and Cork. ... Some also settled in ... and Killeshandra, Co. Cavan.

http://huguenotsinireland.com/?page_id=23
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Chris Kirk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
According to Al Beagan's 'Genealogy Notes' on Killeshandra, County Cavan.
George La Nauze. b 21st Sept 1706, d 28th May 1800 was probated in Co. Cavan; christained 26th Sept 1706 by Rev Mr Skelerne, Minister of Killeshandra, m (firstly) 30th Oct 1736 in parish of St. Brides, Dublin.
There was a Doctor Andrew George La Nauze, known as the 'Good Physician' member of the Huguenot family of De La Nauze from Castres in South of France and settled in Ireland, m 20th Jan 1689, Ann Hierome (Jerome) only dau. of Count and Countess La Favre, b in France, d 9th June 1715 and interred in the (old) church of Killeshandra. There are no visible graves in the (old) Killeshandra church/churchyard of that name.
The earliest graves in the Killeshandra churchyard are those of John Veitch d. 3rd March 1714 aged 97 years, His wife Ennet d. 6th Oct 1702 aged 58 years. Also John Veitch (son) d. 26th Feb 1724 aged 50 years.
Hope this helps, there are no Veighy family graves.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 15 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris for the information, very useful.
Also, thanks for checking out the Killeshandra churchyard for Veighey graves.
It all adds to the research.

Thanks again

Margaret ;) :)