Author Topic: Old Military Photos  (Read 1590 times)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Old Military Photos
« on: Friday 10 January 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I have been wondering for a while now if there is any kind of on-line repository for old military regimental photos.

I for one have quite a few photos of unknown soldiers, and I am very conscious how much I would like to know what some of my serving army ancestors looked like.  And can't help thinking that some researchers may be looking for ancestors in the photos I happen to have, or the photos Joe Bloggs has etc.

For example, I have no idea why my family had this photo - but it may mean something to someone else....

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Military Photos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 January 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with your question but a great pic of  4th/5th Seaforth Highlanders between ww1 and ww2. The Highlanders Museum is at Fort George nr. Inverness

James

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi James - thanks so much! Can I ask how you tell it was between WW1 and 2?  I've passed by Fort George but never been in, I will look into visiting them  :D

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 January 14 19:25 GMT (UK) »
The Glengarry  badge they have is a complete  circlet around the cat, it was in use between 1920 and 1946, if it was post ww2 they would likely have medal ribbons. as they dont have medal ribbons and the round cap badge it is post 1920
The badge with the buckled circlet and loose strap end was pre 1920 according to my reference book.

The two soldiers on the left, one standing and one kneeling have the badge with circlet strap underneath, the one standing also has one medal probably ww1,  the 4/5th Seaforth Highlanders were a TA battalion.
Hope that makes sense

James

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 14 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Its before 1940 as Battledress came in that year and the collar badges, 1908 pattern tunics etc all went. The web belts are 1908 pattern and were replaced by 1937 pattern webbing.  As they are TA it is possible that they were still wearing this in 1939 though.  As they have no WW1 medal ribbons I would put it later than the early 1920s and probably in the 1930s.

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Could that have been taken in Palestine,I see the number 36 on the bottom right hand corner of the photo could that mean 1936 and the tents in the background.according to wiki they were in Palestine in the 30's.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
36 will be the photographer's reference for ordering copies. It was probably taken at Home, at the two week summer camp.

I do not believe it is a WW1 medal. It looks like it has a ring suspension. The Victory Medal was always issued with the British War Medal and it is not the 1914 or 1914-15 Star. It could be a shooting medal, or a coronation/jubilee medal.

Ken

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
anyone know if the helmet in the photo is a tin helmet or a pith helmet? and what is the rifles? Doesn' look like the Lee enfield 303.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - all of you. Mines of information, I really appreciate it.  I got excited when you mentioned Palestine Bugle Boy as I am pretty sure my great uncle was there with the Seaforths between the wars for a time.  He is not in the photo though.

Can I ask how you know its the 4th/5th Bn?

Many thanks again