Author Topic: Dating of Nanny & Pram Photo  (Read 1572 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dating of Nanny & Pram Photo
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Could you help me date this photograph? It was one of a handful of pics found after my gm died in 1995. My gm was born in Brislington in 1901. Her mother was from Cork City, County Cork but I don't know much more than that.

I'd appreciate any insight at all.

Thanks
J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dating of Nanny & Pram Photo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 04:54 GMT (UK) »
This photo was also found with the one with the pram.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:34 GMT (UK) »
The 1st. certainly is an Edwardian postcard & possibly the 2nd. as well.
Lace mantels were a popular accessory particularly during the 1st. half of the period but would have to be after 1902.
So you appear to have a woman in service as a nurse/nanny 1902-10ish.
Typically she would be single so may be a sister to you GGGran.
Can we see the backs.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, please show the backs uncropped please, showing the outer corners.

Uniforms were not as up-to-date as the clothing of the lady of the house, as current style was very much a status symbol. Service persons were not expected to have any status, or at least in relation to the employer. See Downton Abbey for full details ;D

If you would like the photos restored...and I'd definitely go for a restore on the top one if I were you...please scan in colour and all the way to the edge. You will also have to go back to the first post in the thread, and edit the title to include the word Restore.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
What lovely photos...Love the pram...could the baby be your Grandma?
As China said...they would clean up lovely.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone

From the dating of the photos I am pretty sure it would be my grandmother, which I'd suspected. Now I have to get ahold of the original photos so I can rescan them and post.

Thanks
J

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Can we see the backs.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Will do as soon as I get my hands on them.

J