Author Topic: Family of Agnes Dunlop Ross  (Read 3432 times)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Agnes Dunlop Ross
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Dunlop Ross was born 16 May 1831 in Greenock Old or West Renfrewshire to Peter Ross seaman, and Marion Bryce.  She migrated to Australia and then married Richard Danger Edols in 1852.  Agnes had several siblings Peter Ross b. 1827, James Bryce Ross b. 1833 and Elizabeth Bryce Ross b. 1835.  I would love to know what became of the rest of her family.  Would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Agnes Dunlop Ross
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on the 1851 census for James b aged 18 but cannot seem to find him
helping wherever possible

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible all the family emigrated as there is no trace of a Peter Ross b 1827 either
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, I was thinking the same thing
helping wherever possible

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 06:30 BST (UK) »
I think that is a possibility that they all migrated.   I suspect I may have found a sister for Agnes in Australia.  Jane Osborne Bryce Ross married Robert Haywood Ralston in Victoria Australia.( I can't find a birth record for her but she did state she was born in Greenock)  Agnes mother is Marion Bryce and father James Bryce. Interestingly Jane has a daughter middle name Marion, another with a middle name Bryce, she married a Ralston, Agnes gave one of her children a middle name Ralston another a middle name Bryce. Looking in the Scottish records I think I may be on to something.  I found a Marion Bryce with parents James Bryce and Jean Osborn......... Jane and Agnes and other identified siblings were born in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland, James Bryce and Jean married there too......  Any help would be grateful for.
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Bingo!  Jane Osborne Bryce Ross is definitely the sister of Agnes Dunlop Ross. I found some good evidence. Would love to find the rest of them.  I now suspect that their Mother Marion Bryce's parents may be James Bryce and Jean Osborne.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 15 04:41 BST (UK) »
I found a record for an Agnes Ross, Jean (perhaps it could have actually been Jane) and James Ross arriving on board the "George" in 1841.  This means they would have been only children, no indicator of age on the record.  I am starting to think that maybe this is their arrival.  The reason I am thinking this, is that an Alexander Russel and a Mr and Mrs Learmonth were also on this journey.  Interesting Agnes and her sister Jane both named sons with a middle name Russel and Jane named one of her sons with a middle name of Learmonth.  Anyone else got any thoughts?  Do you think this is a possibility or am I clutching at straws.