Author Topic: Richard Blake - Lambeth - confused about children!!  (Read 2774 times)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Blake - Lambeth - confused about children!!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Ooo kkk, colour me thick, but all these children are confusing me too.

Richard and Elizabeth marry in November 1838, and daughter Elizabeth is born December 1839, at which point mother Elizabeth dies, yes? Then, in 1840, little Elizabeth plus three others are all baptised. Who is the mother of the other three? How old are they? Where did you find their baptismal entries and have you seen the actual page or just a transcript? 

Four possibilities:
1)  Richard Sr has been married before (possibly to an Elizabeth?)
2)  Elizabeth has been married before (possibly in Ireland) and the other three are hers but not his, just taking their "new" father's name for the sake of simplicity/ whatever.
3)  He has remarried (to another Elizabeth?), and the other three are hers but not his, surname change as above.
4)  The other three were born before the marriage.

Have you got a copy of the marriage certificate, and what does that tell us? What about Little Elizabeth's birth and certificates? They could be illuminating too.

Elizabeth dies aged 27, so 2) and 4) are both a possibility.

Regarding the other three children in 1841, they could be with his parents or siblings perhaps? With their birth father's family? With some other Egans somewhere? If they aren't biologically his they may no longer even be calling themselves Blake. Not to mention them possibly being parked somewhere as "nurse" children as suggested, or being in an orphanage of some sort.
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply...yes to all of the above!

The baptisms are taken from the original image. 

I've not got the marriage certificate for Richard Blake and Elizabeth Egan, but the date is from a transcription. 

The only record of any of the children I have is from the baptism record above.  Other than the reference to Jane Blake earlier, working at Guy's Hospital in 1861, I can't trace any of the listed children.

It is a distinct mystery and is a long standing brick wall!

Regards,

Emma
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Does Richard remarry, online tree has him marrying Martha Tungate?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, he does, which is where I spring from! 

He and Martha were married on 12th January 1845 at St Mary Lambeth.  He is marked down as widow. 
They had the following children:

Richard William 1847
Elizabeth Cumber 1849
Sarah 1851
Martha Ann 1853
Robert James 1856
George Thomas 1858
William Henry 1860
Frances 1862-1862
Benjamin William 1864-1864
William Benjamin 1868

I don't hold out much hope for anyone called William.  Also, my 2xGt Grandfather was Richard William Blake b.1847, so would assume that Richard Thomas on the 1840 baptisms passed away sometime before then.  ???

It's all a very tangled web!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)