Author Topic: Francis Stonge  (Read 637 times)

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Francis Stonge
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
 Hi
I am not sure if this is the right place for this message!
But we have a strange Stepson called Francis Stonge born 1877 Canada who shows up in the 1881 census for Bath Somerset his mother seems to be Catherine Annie Hinge born 1853 Chew Magna Somerset she married 1878 at Bath somerset to Edward Ditchett Tucker.
I wonder if any one can help solve this mystery.
Kind regards Chris
Hi Carol
I have I hope sent you a message Francis Stonge shows up in the 1891 census at Bath Somerset
Bye Chris
This information is crown copyright, from
"http://www.national archives.gov.uk"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Stonge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
But we have a strange Stepson called Francis Stonge born 1877 Canada who shows up in the 1881 census for Bath Somerset

Where did you get that surname from as on the 1881 image he is shown as Tucker - stepson
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
An online family tree* gives Francis Stonge born c1877 Canada as the son of Edward ditchet Tucker & catherine annie Hinge. The only source given is the 1891 census which does have him as stepson Francis Stonge. So, one wonders if Catherine's first husband was Stonge  ???
*actually several trees are online but difficult to know with these which might be copied from each other.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible the 1891 reads "Hinge" but has been poorly written and interpreted as Stonge?  Or is the name actually St. Onge?

Any possible relation to this? (child George with mother Catherine Hinge/Hing(l)e b. Ontario in 1876)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMQQ-BBB

Does anybody researching this family have the marriage certificate from 1878?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

If you look at 1891 - 'Stonge' the first letter/s look like the 'H' in Harriet and Hannah also on the page.
I would agree with jorose and go with Hinge.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose
Yes we do have the marriage Cert: for Catherine Hinge
She married in April 1878 Bath Somerset to Edward Ditchett Tucker they went on to have 8 little Tucker children
Catherine Hinge was the daughter of Mary Bidwell and William Hinge they had 10 children we know that her mother died in 1871 I found her father in the 1871 census still living in Lyncombe Bath Somerset with some of the children but Catherine was missing so maybe she went to Canada it looks like she may have had 2 illegitimate children while there but she did not marry while in Canada because on her marriage cert; it gives her maiden name.
So I would just like to say thank you to everyone for your help in find this information for me.
Regards Chris
This information is crown copyright, from
"http://www.national archives.gov.uk"