Author Topic: WDYTYA USA New Series Starting Tonight!  (Read 12754 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WDYTYA USA New Series Starting Tonight!
« on: Monday 13 January 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Just come across this in my TV paper & thought that I would bring it to others attention in case they wanted to watch it as well.

Who Do You Think You Are - USA featuring actress Christina Applegate. BBC1 11.20pm tonight (13th Jan 2014), 45 minutes in length.

Kind regards

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA USA New Series Starting Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've just set Sky+ to record it.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Me too!  I don't always know the American Celebrities but I always enjoy watching it  :)
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Although this episode was very narrow in that it was all about Christina Applegate's grandmother, it was very moving and well worth watching.

I hope the rest of the series is to be shown as well.  :-\
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I was going to start a post about this episode because I'm was confused by it at the end. I really don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it (so look away now if this is you!)..- It's the bit at the end in the Cemetery office - we see the card that names who is in the plot (very briefly).  It looks like Orvid Shaw, Lavina Shaw, Delilah Shaw (the Aunt to Bob) and then we see that there is a plot for Bob (Christina's Father) it has his full name Robert William Applegate (and the notation grandson next to it) but Christina says to her Dad  "Look your Mum (who was also a Lavina) loved you so much and wanted you buried with her etc.. " Later we see that Bob gets a headstone with Orvid, Lavina & Delilah's name and the inscription (something like) Found you Mom!

So, I would think that the Lavina Shaw in the grave would be Bob's grandmother wouldn't you?  I mean if she is not in that grave, which is obviously a family plot where is she?  Bob's Mom who was also a Lavina had been married twice once to an Applegate and then to a Walton.  So at death surely she was Lavina Walton   :-\ :-\

I do know these things are heavily edited - but maybe someone could clarify this for me! It was late maybe I just wasn't watching properly.  Anyway, It really has been bugging me.

Thanks!
CD

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the comments about this episode on IMDB it explains a bit more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365047/board/flat/217757136
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was a bit confused too after watching this last night, but I recorded it, so have just watched it again to see if I can sort it out.  From the card shown it seemed that the burial plot was for Ovid Shaw, Delilah, and Lavina V. Shaw with a space for Robert William, but it didn't say where Lavina's mother (also Lavina, nee Weaver) was buried.  Lavina Victorine's death certificate stated she was buried at that cemetery.  Perhaps the mother was buried in a Weaver family plot?  Lots there that we family history addicts would have investigated further!

I also noticed that the newspaper article about the sisters Lavina and Delilah mentioned that of the couple they visited, the wife was the former Miss Grace McGhee, the niece of Mrs Jennis Weaver, grandmother of the Misses Shaw.  So as I say, more names which the likes of us would research!

Ann
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks Bev for the link - glad I'm  not the only one that was confused.  Someone on the website you gave the link to did indeed seem to suggest that the Grandmother Lavina Shaw was buried in the Weaver plot. (Well surmised quest40).  Some of the posters go on to discuss that the administrator of the plot was this Constant charactor and also that Delilah also died young of malnutrition. 

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I wondered why (on screen at least) they didn't look at the date that the mother re-married to Mr.Walton, to see if the data corresponded to when Ms.Applegate's father Robert was told his mother had died a horrible death, rather than the perceived 5 year gap between the young Robert being told and the actual death. Wouldn't be the first time in-laws have made up a story out of spite.