Author Topic: D. Hurley - Cardiff  (Read 4873 times)

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: D. Hurley - Cardiff
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 January 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please locate Daniel Hurley on the 1901 census born circa 1898, Roath, Cardiff. Sorry for the lack of detail but that’s all I have.
Thanks

This is what we have at Forces War Records:

First Name:
 Daniell   

Initials:
 D   

Surname:
 Hurley   

Birth Town:
 Roath, Glamorgan   

Resided Town:
 Pontlottyn, Glamorgan   

Nationality:
 British   

Date of Death:
 10/07/1916   

Fate:
 Killed in Action   

Private   

Service Number:

Duty Location:
 France And Flanders   

Campaign Medals:

Victory Medal

victory medalLike many service personnel of World War One, Daniell Hurley was entitled to the Victory medal, also called the Inter Allied Victory Medal. This medal was awarded to all who received the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star and, with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone. These three medals were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.

Eligibility for this award consisted of having been mobilised, fighting, having served in any of the theatres of operations, or at sea, between midnight 4th/5th August, 1914, and midnight, 11th/12th November, 1918. Women who served in any of the various military organisations in a theatre of operations were also eligible.

British War Medal

british war medalAs with many Armed Forces personnel, Daniell Hurley was entitled to the British War Medal for service in World War One. This British Empire campaign medal was issued for services between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

The medal was automatically awarded in the event of death on active service before the completion of this period.

Service:
 British Army   

Regiment:
Welsh Regiment   

Battalion:
 13th Battalion   

Commemorated:
 Britain 

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 January 14 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much DH999, does say residence Pontlottyn but otherwise no further details.
Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 January 14 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much DH999, does say residence Pontlottyn but otherwise no further details.
Deirdre

Yes, that's all the site has. Hopefully the extra info will allow you to break down some walls using other sites as well.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 January 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deidre
Nothing new there; to be honest I had a trial run on Forces War Records and I wasn't that impressed, in as much, for the persons I was researching at the time, they had the same records available on ancestry and findmypast, I was not finding anything I didn't already know; so I cancelled my subscription.  That said, I never turn away a gift horse, and was hoping your contact would come up with something we could use to progress the search.

Thank you for trying, words come cheap I know, but I truly appreciate your help.
Regards, Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 January 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deidre
Nothing new there; to be honest I had a trial run on Forces War Records and I wasn't that impressed, in as much, for the persons I was researching at the time, they had the same records available on ancestry and findmypast, I was not finding anything I didn't already know; so I cancelled my subscription.  That said, I never turn away a gift horse, and was hoping your contact would come up with something we could use to progress the search.

Thank you for trying, words come cheap I know, but I truly appreciate your help.
Regards, Roy

That's OK Roy, I didn't mind looking for you either!

This is the problem we come up against at FWR as we have finite resources like everyone else, if we don't have the records others have we get the comments "They only have what x has" and if we do other exclusive collections we get "They haven't even got what x has got"

You can't win, but we try our best with the ONLY UK based transcription team run by a genealogy site.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 January 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello DH999
I didn't mean to be unkind in my comments, I'm sure you are doing a grand job, as mentioned, it just so happens on the persons I was researching at the time there were no extra details, and frustration crept in.  I am part of a small team trying our best to research the names on the war memorials in the old parish of Gelligaer for the Centenary in August and with time running out, I get a little disapointed when I can't find information. 

I am truly grateful to you and the many members of Rootschat.

Kind Regards, Roy     
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 January 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello DH999
I didn't mean to be unkind in my comments, I'm sure you are doing a grand job, as mentioned, it just so happens on the persons I was researching at the time there were no extra details, and frustration crept in.  I am part of a small team trying our best to research the names on the war memorials in the old parish of Gelligaer for the Centenary in August and with time running out, I get a little disapointed when I can't find information. 

I am truly grateful to you and the many members of Rootschat.

Kind Regards, Roy     

That's OK Roy, I was talking a little bit tongue in cheek anyhow! :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 January 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

I posted on the Glamorgan FHS Facebook page to see if anyone could help. They mainly found what you had already but there was a newspaper item listing recent enlistements. Could this be him?

Aberdare Leader, 11 Sep 1915, aticle entitled 'War Mems from the Mount'...

...Daniel Hurley, 36 Arthur Street.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 January 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the article that Daniel Hurley seems to be living in Arthur St, Mountain Ash when he enlisted, so possibly not relevant