Author Topic: Christopher OGLESBY and Maryann HALPIN Dublin marriage  (Read 7379 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher OGLESBY and Maryann HALPIN Dublin marriage
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 January 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Good work Dathai I think this could be a breakthrough.

In 1838 on irishgenealogy there is a My Anne ie Maryanne baptized to a Peter and Elizabeth Halpin.

This age would tie in much better with Christopher and the birth of the children.

I would be pretty sure then that the Mary Oglesby on the 1901 census is NOT yours and that in fact your Maryanne had died pre 1901.

The Halpin person in the grave that you mentioned must be a cousin or other maybe a niece.

So this means that Christopher and Maryanne's marriage does not appear to be online. This is quite common as not all churches in the Dublin area are covered... but it does look like you can track the Halpin line for a start.

Did you mention seeing another Christopher Oglesby marriage on rootsireland ? What year was it for ?

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 January 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census 18.8 Upper Dorset St
Mathew (oneT in Mathew) Halpin age 50 a widower,butcher,deaf and dumb.
with children.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 January 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Being deaf and dumb must have been heredetary in the family as Mary Anne Harris born 1878 with the Reilly's on the 1901 census is also deaf and dumb.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Most likely death for Peter Halpin
Jan March 1879 age 58 born circa 1821
Dublin North
vol 2 page 542.

dose'nt appear to be buried Glasnevin.

Offline Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone and thank you for all your help and advice,

Yes the age gap is a problem but I find that ages don't seem to correspond. I am assuming the prison records for Christopher which all give his birth year as 1828/9 are correct but death cert. and burial info give his age at death as 60. One record is for 1896 is for 'Refusing to pay maintenance'- was this to his wife?

I found a record on ROOTSIRELANDie. under Church Marriage, Surname Oglesby, First Name Christopher, Year 1849, County Co.Dublin.
I also looked for a Marianne Halpin and it had a record for Mary Anne Halfpenny for 1849 with the same details but I have no idea if they link together. I could pay to see if this is a marriage between them and will do if all else fails.

The earliest baptism on irishgenealagy is in 1863 for a Joannes Joseph Ogelsby at St Mary's Pro Cathedral. Parents are Christopher Ogelsby and Marianna Halpin and the family are living at 3 Lr Gloucester place. This child died in 1865 aged 2 snd in buried in Glasnevin. Again I could pay to see the full record and there may be others buried with him to provide a link to the family.

Yes Peter/Patrick Oglesby is another son of Christopher and Marianne depending in which name he went by.

The 'MyAnne' baptism looks very good and would put her at a better age , and all the other Halpin info. should give me plenty to look at. The deafness is interesting and looks like it runs in the family as you say.

Thank you again. Any other thoughts, much appreciated.

Rose

Thanks for the death of Peter Halpin  -looks like I can start to build a tree! This might explain why Christopher and Maryanne named a son Peter.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 January 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I think you can scratch the 1879 death as i found a will for peter Halpin Jan 1879 Gentleman from Fairview.
Check out the prison files for a Peter Halpin and Andrew Harris.

Offline Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 January 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. I have put all the Halpin/Harris information together in a word document and can see how it all fits with what information I already have and know. Anyone know what the latin name Gulielmi is in english - is it William?

Tara, I see you are researching Cunningham in Dublin. My mother in law's sister married a Peter Cunningham in 1948 (North Dublin)

I just wish my other post had been so fruitful.

Regards

Rose

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 January 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rose

Two Points

1.  That 1849 Christopher Oglesby marriage is NOT a match to Maryanne.

2. It's very possible that the Christopher on the prison records is NOT your ancestor but one of the others whom we have seen on irishgenealogy and that in fact yours WAS born more towards 1840 !

Tara

Offline Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

You may be right about Christopher but it is the only one I have come across and I tried to make it link but being a closer age to Maryanne would make more sense and his age at death would be correct. I just can't find him!

The children I have of Christopher and Maryanne are:-

Joannes Joseph born 1863 (possible death 1866 aged 2)
Mary born 1865 (died 1883 aged 17) buried with Christopher
Christopher born 1866
Peter born 1869
Mathew born 1871
Elizabeth born 1874. She is the Elizabeth Kelly (who was a Harris sponsor) Likewise Lizzie Harris was witness at her wedding.
Bridget born 1878

Do you know who was the wife of Christopher in 1849, I thought this might have been his first wife? Don't worry I paid to find out. Christopher Ogleby married Anna White at St Paul's Arran Quay but it gave no ages, occupations, parents or addresses. Only witnesses as Thomas MacNamara and Bridget Fitzpatrick. At least I will stop looking at this one.

Will reply to other post now.

Thanks so much.

Rose