Author Topic: FATHERS OF "ILLEGITIMATE" CHILDREN 1908  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FATHERS OF "ILLEGITIMATE" CHILDREN 1908
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 January 14 05:23 GMT (UK) »
What father's name did she give on her marriage certificate? You say she gave a false name? How sure are you that this is the case?

Do you have her immigration record? Often groups of males/females went to Australia to fill labouring or other positions, and sometimes a huge number were destined for the cane fields or wherever there was a need.
Might your grandmother have been part of such a group? Do you know if she was employed upon her arrival?

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 January 14 05:41 GMT (UK) »
On her marriage certificate, she used a misspelling of her stepfather's first name and her own surname (ie, not her stepfather's).

I have her immigration record.  She came alone - remarkable for a 17 year old!  (Her half-sister (by her mother and stepfather) followed two years later.)  Her intended work listed in the immigration document was "domestic", but I'm not sure she had work planned or whether she was enticed by Australian advertising for workers in the UK.

Hyland, Casey and Tyrrell (Meath and Westmeath, Ireland)

Kelly and Casey (Dublin, Ireland)

Kearney/Carney/Carnie (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire Scotland), Porteous (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire, Scotland)

Whitehead (London, Middlesex, England),

Awege (Prussia), Martin (Dover, Cornwall, England),

Stuart (Derbyshire, England),

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 January 14 05:58 GMT (UK) »
um, the misspelling of the names on her marriage certificate may not have been something she intentionally did to deceive, but was probably just what was written by the church official - (ie. their interpretation of what she said) - doubtful it would have been checked or spelled out by your grandmother.

I thought that if she had travelled with a group, there may have been records taken either in England or upon arrival in Australia ...  :-\

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 January 14 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you're right about her seeking to mislead, but I don't think so. 

I keep in mind that this was the 1920s, and illegitimacy was considered very differently to what it is today.  Creating a fictitious father's name avoided all sorts of questions and potential social stigma....and who was to know?  There was no ability to check in those days.

I might add that she also added three years to her age (probably to bring her a little closer to my grandfather's age).  In for a penny; in for a pound.....and again, there was no ability to check.

I have a photocopy of the original ship's manifest.  It lists her as a single woman, travelling to Adelaide  with a number of other young people (in their 20s) from the UK.  I can find no names or addresses that might indicate any sort of relationship - even friendship because they come from different cities in the UK.

Kearney/Carney/Carnie (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire Scotland), Porteous (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire, Scotland)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 January 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Steve, I did not mean that she didn't fabricate a father's name for her marriage (I know this was not unusual), but I was only referring to the "misspellings' being unintentional. Apologies that I did not make this clearer.

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
No need to apologise.  I read your message as a helpful contribution to an exploration of possibilities - and I apologise if my response seemed a bit "direct" (blunt?).  It wasn't meant to be anything other than my own mulling over the pros and cons of your ideas.

Take it as read: I very much appreciate all the feedback I've had on this issue. It may not have given me a definitive answer, but it ensures that no rock has been left unturned.

Steve

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 January 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Not at all blunt Steve.  :)
It is very frustrating to have dead ends, especially related to illegitimacy and (almost) within living memory.