Author Topic: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?  (Read 6654 times)

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I was told by my father that my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson from Sunderland served in the Royal Flying Corp. I purchased his service record from the National Archives and discovered that  before that he enlisted in the British Army and served in France. It states he was gassed on 17th September 1917. However, I cannot find out what regiment he served in. I am guessing that it was the Durham Light Infantry but not sure. Can anyone tell me what other regiments did Sunderland men serve or be able to access records to find out?
My father also told me that he served in India. I am assuming this was with the R.A.F which he joined in  April 1918. I can't seem to find out what the Units he served were. Movements read: I think - 2AD to 2AW, 1AD to 10AP, 10AP to 20 Squadron, 20 Squadron to 'Dealali'? Then I can't read where his documents were sent to but the date is 5th August 1920 after his discharge which was 30th April 1920.

I work for Forces War Records, and am happy to help, this is from the site:

First Name:
 C.E.A.   

Surname:
 Anderson   

Nationality:
 British   

Information:
 Before Transfer to R.A.F. from R.N.A.S. or R.F.C. - Rank:- A. Mech. 3, Trade:- Carp. (Lnr.)   

More Information:
 Airforce Pay:- 1s. 6d. Terms of Enlistment:- Duration of War   

Private   

Rank (2nd):
 Carp Lnr   

Service Number:

Campaign Medals:

Victory Medal

victory medalLike many service personnel of World War One, C.E.A. Anderson was entitled to the Victory medal, also called the Inter Allied Victory Medal. This medal was awarded to all who received the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star and, with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone. These three medals were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.

Eligibility for this award consisted of having been mobilised, fighting, having served in any of the theatres of operations, or at sea, between midnight 4th/5th August, 1914, and midnight, 11th/12th November, 1918. Women who served in any of the various military organisations in a theatre of operations were also eligible.

British War Medal

british war medalAs with many Armed Forces personnel, C.E.A. Anderson was entitled to the British War Medal for service in World War One. This British Empire campaign medal was issued for services between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

The medal was automatically awarded in the event of death on active service before the completion of this period.

Service:
 Royal Air Force   

Unit:
Royal Air Force   
Royal Air Force during World War 1

Royal Air Force

More information about Royal Air Force
Formed: 1918

While the British were not the first to make use of heavier-than-air military aircraft, the RAF is the world's oldest independent air force: that is, the first air force to become independent of army or navy control. It was founded on 1 April 1918, with headquarters located in the former Hotel Cecil, during the First World War, by the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). After the war, the service was drastically cut and its inter-war years were relatively quiet, with the RAF taking responsibility for the control of Iraq and executing a number of minor actions in other parts of the British Empire. Naval aviation in the form of the RAF's Fleet Air Arm was returned to Admiralty control on 24 May 1939.

The RAF developed its doctrine of Strategic bombing which led to the construction of long-range bombers and became the basic philosophy in the Second World War.

The RAF underwent rapid expansion prior to and during the Second World War. Under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan of December 1939, the air forces of British Commonwealth countries trained and formed "Article XV squadrons" for service with RAF formations. Many individual personnel from these countries, and exiles from occupied Europe, also served with RAF squadrons.

In the Battle of Britain, in the late summer of 1940, the RAF (supplemented by 2 Fleet Air Arm Squadrons, Polish, Czechoslovakian and other multinational pilots and ground personnel) defended the skies over Britain against the German Luftwaffe, helping foil Hitler's plans for an invasion of the United Kingdom, and prompting Prime Minister Winston Churchill to say in the House of Commons on 20 August, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few".

The largest RAF effort during the war was the strategic bombing campaign against Germany by Bomber Command. While RAF bombing of Germany began almost immediately upon the outbreak of war, under the leadership of Air Chief Marshal Harris, these attacks became increasingly devastating from 1942 onward as new technology and greater numbers of superior aircraft became available. The RAF adopted night-time area bombing on German cities such as Hamburg and Dresden, and developed precision bombing techniques for specific operations, such as the "Dambusters" raid by No. 617 Squadron, or the Amiens prison raid known as Operation Jericho.
Click here for more information on Royal Air Force   

Seniority Date:
 20/02/18 

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady,
Thanks for looking for me. It's such a shame that so many records were burnt. I have been looking for a while for my husbands grandfather's service records. He was Patrick Dobson born 1890 also Sunderland and was in the Northumberland Fusiliers Tyneside Irish. He died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme 1st July 1916.After a visit to the Somme last year and reading John Sheen's book (which is excellent), I have been able to find out where his battalion was that day so therefore piece together the circumstances leading to his death. I would have liked to have looked at his army record to see information such as when he enlisted and his movements in France. All I can find is information about his death.
Julie

From Forces War Records:

First Name:
 Patrick   

Initials:
 P   

Surname:
 Dobson   

DOB:
 Circa 1891   

Birth Town:
 Seaham Harbour, Durham   

Resided Town:
 Sunderland   

Nationality:
 British   

Date of Death:
 01/07/1916   

Fate:
 Killed in Action   

Information:
 Parents: John and Catherine Dobson, of 50, Lawrence St., Sunderland; husband of Catherine Dobson, of 22, Cousin St., Sunderland.   

Private   

Service Number:
 27/181   

Duty Location:
 France And Flanders 

Regiment:
Northumberland Fusiliers   

Battalion:
 27th (Tyneside Irish) Battalion 

Campaign Medals:

Victory Medal

Like many service personnel of World War One, Patrick Dobson was entitled to the Victory medal, also called the Inter Allied Victory Medal. This medal was awarded to all who received the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star and, with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone. These three medals were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.

Eligibility for this award consisted of having been mobilised, fighting, having served in any of the theatres of operations, or at sea, between midnight 4th/5th August, 1914, and midnight, 11th/12th November, 1918. Women who served in any of the various military organisations in a theatre of operations were also eligible.

British War Medal

As with many Armed Forces personnel, Patrick Dobson was entitled to the British War Medal for service in World War One. This British Empire campaign medal was issued for services between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

The medal was automatically awarded in the event of death on active service before the completion of this period.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
The Dealali was probably Deolali in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deolali_transit_camp

There was a transit camp there in WWII that was used for many of the shell-shock victims. It gave its name to the Doolally phrase meaning crazy.
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
http://www.britishmedals.us/files/r1.html

He's mistranscribed as CEA Anderson in this nominal from April 1918.
His Army record must have been burned in the Blitz of ww2

Ady
If you check on FindMyPast, the original nominal roll pages are shown and there is no mistranscription of them,

there are 2 Andersons shown with these initials:-

97221 Anderson C E S

144528 Anderson C E A

bowman

BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone for your help and information. I have some Find My Past credits but I can't seem to find the nominal roll record on there. What exactly should I put in the search as I have tried a few times. Does the record come up CEA Anderson?
It is interesting about Deolali. My father said he served in India but now I am thinking that he was sent there as a patient. His RAF service record said he was gassed in France and when I asked my father about this he said that he only knew that he had a rough time there. Maybe he had shellshock.
Does anyone know what his rank/trade means - Carp. (Lnr)?
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Success! I have found it. It does have the wrong initials though. It should be CEH for Charles Ernest Humble. His number is correct though.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 January 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I am starting to think that my grandfather was discharged for medical reasons. Does anyone know how I can find his discharge record? He was discharged on 30th April 1920 aged just 21.

His son, my father's eldest brother, was also in the RAF. I am trying to find his Service Record. He was also Charles Ernest Anderson born 1921 in Sunderland. He died in Sunderland aged just 29 in 1950. He served as a Flight Engineer in the RAF I assume during the 2nd World War or just after. My father told me he served in Canada.
Julie

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Julie
If he was discharged to pension it will be on his service record.

WW2 Service records are still with MOD You can apply there's a charge of 30 pounds and a lengthy wait to get them

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline dwyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Julie

I have some information on Charles Ernest Humble Anderson while researching my Grandfather as he served in the same draft. This information fits with what you have found in his RAF service record.

19th Feb 1917 Mobilised for service and posted to the 90th Battalion Training Reserve, based at Seaton Sluice, Northumberland
19th Aug 1917 Embarked for France at Folkstone, landing at Boulogne and joining 37 Infantry Base Depot at Etaples.
28th Aug 1917 Transferred to the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and Posted to the 7th (Service) Battalion. KOYLI service number 36312
1 Sep 1917 Joined battalion at Proven, Flanders

(My Grandfather was Robert Winter Young 36338)

There are some sources you may wish to look up.
1. HMSO War Office Weekly Casualty Lists 1917-1918. These are the official published casualty lists and held at large Libraries (National Library of Scotland, British Library). "Anderson 36312 C.E.H. (Sunderland)" was posted wounded in the daily KOYLI entry on 25th October 1917.
2. This corresponds with the 7 / KOYLI War Diary entry which records many men wounded from a gas attack at Langemarck on the 26th Sept 1917.
3. The Find my past website has recently updated its service record search engine. Enter 36312 Anderson and it will show a BEF Casualty List "Sick and Wounded NCO's and Men of the Expeditionary Force France List No HA15882" with his name showing that on the 2nd November 1917 he was transferred to No 3 Rest Camp from No 1 Convalescent Depot Boulogne while still in 7 / KOYLI
4. The day he transferred to the RFC 20th Feb 1918 was the day that 7 / KOYLI was disbanded in France. He probably volunteered to transfer along with his friend 36324 Wilfred Smith from Barnard Castle. He was recently the subject of a BBC radio programme as his 5 brothers were all killed in the Great War.

Hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have any questions as I have much more background info on 7 / KOYLI during this period.

Regards

David