Author Topic: Martin Connor from Cashel and Straide, County Mayo, Ireland  (Read 4472 times)

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Connor from Cashel and Straide, County Mayo, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Una

Thanks for the e-mail ! I was at the grave a few years ago and I know your grand aunt Marie Treacy in Worcester. There's no record of Martin anywhere that we can find. I havent been to Straide in 4 years, but maybe Denis Canning at Straide church may have a record somewhere ?

I dont know what you know about our history. Martin Connor and Bridget Lowe had 10 children but only 2 got married and had families of their own..... your great grandmother Delia and my grandad John. My grandad, his brother Pat and sister Sabina are buried in the old cemetery in graves 229 and 231.

My dad said they had great fun with their Boland cousins when they were all kids in Straide.  I was going to ask Marie about her side of the family because theres a lot we dont know. Do you know anything about Martin Connor who was married to Bridget Lowe or have any old photos? I have a photo of Bridget Lowe which was taken in the early 1930s, and we've also just had a report done by the heritage centre in Crossmolina, which found Martin Connors parents marriage certificate and burial place.

Good to hear from you

Brendan

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 June 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
I've recently seen my grandparents marriage certificate from September 1925 and Martin Connor, my great grandad is listed as deceased. So he must have passed away sometime between 1911 and 1925.

I would be grateful if anyone has any more information.

Thanks

Brendan  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 June 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
I've recently seen my grandparents marriage certificate from September 1925 and Martin Connor, my great grandad is listed as deceased. So he must have passed away sometime between 1911 and 1925.
I would be grateful if anyone has any more information.
Thanks
Brendan  :)

If he died in England (as I think your first post stated?) then check for deaths in index on FreeBDM-
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all their help.

We have finally found out that Martin died in Gurranard, Straide on 21 February 1922. The death record says he was 53 but he would have been about 62. It's definitely him though. Informant was his daughter Delia Connor.

My cousin is going to contact Straide church to see if they have a record of his burial.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update. I am so glad you have found your grt grandfather’s death at last.
Best wishes with the cemetery search.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk