Author Topic: Restoration Help Please of King William Street Ironville  (Read 1414 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration Help Please of King William Street Ironville
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 January 14 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is Carol. This is King William Street in its present form today (. . . and many would say it wasn't for the better):

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 January 14 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Great restore Terry.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 January 14 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve :)

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy
I have just come across you posts about Ironville.
I have been tracing my OHs genealogy, and find some of the family living in Ironville for a number of years in the late 1800s and in to the early 1900s.
In fact they lived on this street!
Would it be ok with you (and any of the great restorers on here), to perhaps use the photograph in a little write up of the family - purely for immediate family (ie my children!).

They also lived on Queens Street, which I'm guessing would have looked pretty similar.
Are there any old photos of Queens Street you know of?
What a shame this 'model village' was demolished.

Do you have any idea when the photo was taken? I'm guessing 1910s/1920s?
Surely there was event going on down the street for everybody to be out in the street in what looks like their best clothes.  :) They are looking expectantly down the street - for something to arrive?

I have found your website with the newsletters - as yet not had time to delve into them.
Thanks
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie61,

The picture was taken circa 1910.

You will find out more about the history of Ironville on this page, if you scroll down and click on some of the links.:

http://unicorns.comli.com/Index.htm

You will also find lots of old pictures of ironville on these Facebook pages:

Friends of Ironville & Codnor Park

Alfreton & District Heritage Trust
(Look at the ironville albums on this page)

Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage JACHs

(JACHS also have a web page with lots of Ironville family history data bases as well as lots of photographs link: https://www.jacksdale.org.uk/jachs-jacksdale-area-culture-heritage/
Click on the genealogy section but there is lots more).

I hope that this helps.

Andy 

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 May 19 07:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the links Andy.
That'll keep me busy!  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs