Author Topic: master mariner  (Read 4062 times)

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
master mariner
« on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
could anyone possibly tell me if there are any online sites whereby i could research the career of a master mariner. I am researching my grt grt grt grandfather Frederick strasenburgh. He was born in north leith in 1824 and moved to southshields where he gained his master's certificate on 3rd november 1852. I do know that he was master of 2 briggs in his career " GEM " and  " LAWSONS ".
During my research i have discovered that he died at sea but i would love to know more about how he died and on what vessel. I do know that the event occured 25 september 1862.
best regards
RICHARD

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: master mariner
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Headline: SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE.

Publication:Newcastle Journal

Publication date:Friday 03 October 1862

Article text:"with loss of canvass. The brig Lawsons, of South Shields, recently put back to Cronstadt, in consequence the master, Mr. Strasenburgh, having been lost overboard.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Publication:Newcastle Journal

Publication date:Wednesday 15 October 1862

Article text:" Lost at sea, on the 24th ult,, aged 39, Captain F. Strasenburgh, who was washed off the deck of the brig Lawsons, when eleven miles from Cronstadt."
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information.
many thanks
RICHARD

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
could you possibly tell me how i could obtain a copy of this article
regards
RICHARD

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find an official death at sea for him. However he was captain of the LAWSONS in 1862
His certificate number was 7512. If you have ancestry there should be details there. If not copies on Micro film at TNA piece BT122/9
The brig LAWSONS was built in Sunderland in 1837. Official number 22910 244 tons owned by Nicholas Grey, Church Row, South Shields.
Her logbooks and crew agreements for 1862 will be at NMM Greenwich if anywhere. You can obtain
with this form.
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/crew-lists-agreements-and-official-logs-request-form
He should also have records in Lloyds Captains Register held by London Metropolitan Archive. Should give his entire  seagoingcareer as Master and Mate.
It would appear that LAWSONS was a regular trader to the Baltic.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 January 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
HI seaweed
thanks for that information---very much appreciated.
With regards to the brig lawsons could you tell me where information regards to her baltic visits etc are available
best regards
RICHARD

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 January 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Lloyd's register of shipping 1861 & 1862 have your ancestor as captain of LAWSONS undertaking Baltic voyages.
The logbooks from NMM will give precise details.
Also a newspaper search may give details
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline snipo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 March 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on Master Mariner Isaac Clampitt   b 1771 from Bovey Tracy Devon moved to Parkgate Wirral Cheshire by 1799 any listings please.