Author Topic: HARVEY, Samuel - South Australia (Mid North)  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Abby Hollingsworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARVEY, Samuel - South Australia (Mid North)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 04:37 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the multiple posts but this is the best way for my head to sort out the information.

What I have on Samuel Snrs parents at this stage is:

Thomas Harvey 1786 - 1866 and Maria Webb 1788 - 1840

Looks like they had 9 children with Samuel (Our Samuel Snr), Elizabeth and Harriet moving to South Australia.

Thomas Harvey was born to a single woman Elizabeth Harvey, she married a Thomas Coxe/Cox after his birth and then proceeded to have 10 children.

From what I can see is the Harveys originate from Horsley, Gloucestershire, England but I have not done a detailed search for evidence.

Our Samuel Snr seems to have Somerset connected to him at the time of his departure to Australia, why I dont know?

I have yet to confirm the birth places via documents for my ancestor Robert Harvey and Samuel Harvey Snr. I have come across a lovely detailed research into the Harveys of Horsley that someone who has visited the church and grave sites has posted and has all these people connected but I do like to have facts proven if possible.

Conclusion is this is a nut shell of what I have, Im fairly confident on my information up to Robert Harvey including where they farmed in Australia etc but still working on his parents and grandparents.

My dad was always hopeful that he was related to William Harvey a physician from 1578 as my dad is a scientist and teacher, now working with wood. But does not look like I could make that connection for him LOL - Especially as for me the trail of Elizabeth Harvey the single mother of Thomas has gone cold for now.

Look forward to communicating more, I am a New Zealander and passionate about ancestor/history so any other information or corrected information id be so grateful. Obviously being in NZ I dont have the luxury of popping to the home villages to do some digging.

Talk soon.