Author Topic: John Dawson born abt 1816  (Read 3337 times)

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Dawson born abt 1816
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:21 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has lots of births/baptisms in Scotland for about that time of a John Dawson with father John Dawson, and there were probably more born then whose baptism went unrecorded. So sadly, tracking down the birth and parents of your John Dawson looks like something of a brick wall.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

You give John's year of death as 1873. What age is he on his death cert?
There is a John Dawson died Tadcaster Sept 1878 aged 59.  http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/districts.pl?r=61710575&d=bmd_138782016
Looby :)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
That's my man 5th Sept 1878 (think I put 73 sorry!) of apoplexy aged 59 giving a birth year of 1819 yet his marriage certificate gives an age of 39 with a birth year of 1816.

He's not that consistent with his birth year it varies between 1816 and 1821 most of which, I'm sure is down to rounding ages up!

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 January 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I've spent about 8 years looking for him on and off using Ancestry, Scotlands People and IGI but to no avail yet.

They were quite an interesting couple, fined for not letting soldiers billet in their pub and her father was transported for stealing ducks!
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Dawson2995

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 June 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I just wondered if you ever tracked down the parents of John Dawson in Scotland. I have recently started my family tree and John Dawson is part of it. I searched Dawson family history in Tadcaster in Google and your old post from years ago appeared. We are definitely talking about the same person so I would be interested to know if you were successful.

Regards
Mark Dawson

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 November 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Apologies I didn't get notification of your post.

Nothing yet I'm afraid, I've been looking into it again after a 6 year break and nothing new!

Going to resubmit the post later today.

I'll let you know if anything crops up.

Dave

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 November 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Now that I've got 4 weeks to spare, I thought I'd resurrect this post again, since 2014 I’ve not had much luck with Mr Dawson as John Dawson and the birth date band of 1818 to 1826 throws up several possibilities.

The most common date appears to be 1819 and Scotland with the Father also being a John Dawson “Cattle Dealer”. John Jnr is also described as being a “Cattle Dealer” together with “Publican” and “Traveller”.

I’ve had a look at the Childrens names and only one has a middle name of “Hutchinson”. Again, I’ve had a look under marriages for a Dawson and Hutchinson but to no avail!

If anybody fancies a Lockdown Challenge I’d be most grateful for any assistance.

Regards and stay safe

Dave