Author Topic: Cemeteries around Portmadoc  (Read 10537 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemeteries around Portmadoc
« on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am intending to visit Portmadoc to hopefully find several family graves but am unable to find a list of cemeteries/addresses around that area. Does anyone know the area that could help me?

I am particularly interested in "Chapel" as against "Church" but would welcome any assistance to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Alan

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries around Portmadoc
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,
            A quick search of Cemeteries on Gwynedd Council's site gives the phone number 01766 771000 for the office for the Dwyfor area, which covers Porthmadog. They may tell you what you need.
                    Good luck,
                                       Pinot

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a large cemetery between Porthmadog and Minffordd, you pass alongside if you travel on the Ffestiniog train. 

There is another cemetery marked on the Penamser Road

They are both marked on a map on streetmap.co.uk

happy hunting
Bee
 :)

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Monumental Inscriptions for gravestones in the parish of Ynyscynhaearn which include Portmadoc are available via the Gwynedd Family History Society.

M074 Ynyscynhaearn, Capel Garth (C.M.) Porthmadog £4 For Booklet
M053 Ynyscynhaearn, Capel Salem (B) Porthmadog £3.50
M023 Ynyscynhaearn, St. Cynhaearn £6.00
M081 Ynyscynhaearn, Moel y Gest Nondenom Part 1 £7.00
M081 Ynyscynhaearn, Moel y Gest Nondenom Part 2 £8.00
M207 Ynyscynhaearn, St. Mair Tremadog £3.50
M208 Ynyscynhaearn, St. John Porthmadog £3.50.

Contact Mr John . M. Barlow
GFHS
45 Y Glyn
Caernarfon
Gwynedd
LL455 1HG
Maybe slightly expensive for the lot but will save you a lot of trouble. I find them invaluable.
Alternatively, they are available on micro-fiche (if your local library has a fiche reader) much cheaper. Try the GFHS website for further details.
Regards.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've got copies of some of these publications. If you can post details of these persons I'll have a look.
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you all for the replies - I am grateful for the information.

Emyr - thank you for the very kind offer - there are various names and I will give you what I can from the censuses, with apologies for the length of the list!  -

Firstly the Owen Family -

Thomas Owen - born I think c 1797 - married 30. 10. 1824 in Ynyscynhaiarn - died between 1860 and 1861.
Jane Owen nee Roberts (wife) - born 1800  - I think died in 1885 - I think she was a widow in the 1861 census but the age shown is wrong - certainly when her daughter Jane married my Great Grandfather Owen Williams in Caernarvon on 18 Dec 1867 Thomas was shown as deceased on the marriage certificate.

Their children -
Elizabeth - born/christened 22 May 1825 - No trace after 1841
Phillip - 26 Feb 1827 - marries Catherine Roberts in 1866. She died in 1876 and he then married Ann Griffith in 1879. Phillip dies 1906 age 78 and Ann(e) 1901 age 51. No children
Dorothy - 13 Sept 1829 - marries a widower Thomas Rees 16 June 1860, at which time her father Thomas is not shown as deceased on the marriage certificate
Catherine  - 1834 - I think she died in 1891 age 56
Margaret - 1836 - Possible death in 1889 age 53
Mary - 1839 - No trace after 1871
Jane - 5 Nov 1831 - She died in Llangeinwen Anglesey in 1902.

The Rees Family -

Thomas Rees (born 1828) seems to have had 4 children from his first marriage -
Lewis Rees - 1851; Griffith Rees - 1855 (born Llanfrothen); both show in the 1861 census. Thomas's first wife Anne Jones (married 1851) died 1859. In the 1871 census,  Lewis seem to have the surname Thomas (patronymics?) and third and fourth children suddenly appear! - John Thomas age 17, Mary Anne Rees age 15

From Thomas's marriage to Dorothy the children were -
Thomas Phillip Rees 1861; Margaret Jane Rees 1863; Howell Thomas Rees 1865; Catherine Rees 1868.
I think Thomas Rees may have died in 1884 as in 1891 Dorothy (shown as Dolly) was a widow.
Dorothy dies in 1909.
Howell Rees seems to have died in 1892, but a grandson Thomas C Rees is on the 1891 census age 6 - I don't know who his parents are currently and can't see him in later censuses.

Having hit a brick wall, I was hoping that the burial information for any of them may provide any additional information.

If you should just happen to also have access to any marriage details this may solve the questions on some of the female children (assuming they married)  but with the names being so common it is expensive to send for certificates which stand a good chance of being wrong.

Your assistance and kindness is much appreciated

Alan

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Just a quick note (but you probably know this), the word for cemetary in Welsh is 'mynwent' (or 'fynwent') and the word for 'chapel' is "capel' (or 'gapel'). It may help with searching things possibly, or spotting things on old maps or documents.

Trystan
(The first letter of a Welsh word can change depending on the word before it, that's why there can be a few different variations of the same word. It's scarily called "mutation".)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Following buried Treflys, grave 234/234a :
Thomas Owen, Tremadoc, died 25/08/1860, aged 62;
Jane his wife, died 29/03/1885, aged 85;
Margaret Owen, their daughter, died 25/03/1889, aged 52;

There is a verse, suggesting she drowned.

Gwen and Ellen, who died aged 1 year.

Also at Treflys, A221:
Catherine, wife of Philip Owen, New St, Portmadoc, died 08/09/1876, aged 46.
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 14 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Emyr,

Thank you - this is the family. Have you the verse details? Does it say who Gwen and Ellen were?

Could you tell me which of the booklets covers the Treflys cemetery - I find it quite confusing trying to distinguish one from another.

Thanks

Alan