Author Topic: Thomas Wilson, gentleman of Coleorton  (Read 10772 times)

Offline smgreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilson, gentleman of Coleorton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 May 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I have read all of the previous posts on Thomas Wilson. I too have been looking into this family as well. You may be interested in further wills which take the family back further generations.
Thomas Wilson of Newgate street is mentioned in these wills.

Samuel Wilson of Hampstead1790, John Wilson St Martins le grace 1782, Robert Wilson 1808 of Cheshire.
To give you an overview Samuel Wilson, Robert Wilson. A sister Mary is mention in all wills
Samuel Wilson mentions in his will his children
1. Susanah b/ca 1758 who wed Richard Tomilnson on 12.2.1774 There wills are around 1814ish , I didn't write the date down.
2. Thomas Wilson
3. Elizabeth who wed Thomas Woods
4.    who wed Thomas Edwards of Newgate a weaver
5.Samuel Wilson
6. John Wilson d 1782 will mentioned above  wed Frances Ash on 12.10.1768 / 2.10.1768 (mentioned in two different churches, Westgate and Holycross) I shall address this family below.

Nephews 
Thomas Wilson of Bread st.  (THIS IS WHO SPARKED MY INTEREST,  Thomas Wilson of Bread street a weaver is in my tree. Not sure if any other Thomas Wilsons were there at the time. If this is the case then Samuel Wilson and Robert would be related to the Wilson weavers)
Thomas Wilson of Newgate St

Before I go onto Robert Wilsons will I will address John Wilson who wed Frances Ash above.
His son was John Ash Wilson ch29.10.1769  will dated  1802 and he wed 10.10.1794 to Susannah Ashmore. refer to PRO UK for more information on this line.

Robert Wilson esquire died 21.1.1808 Cheshire Leicester his will mentions John Wilson and his son John mention above.
nieces- Ann Ayde of Coleorton Leicester, Elizabeth who has 11 children, Mary, Elizabeth Edwards, Susannah Tomlinson of worchester
nephew-Thomas Wilson, Samuel Wilson b 1782 d 28 dec 1849 of Waltham cross son of his brother Samuel, Thomas Wilson of Newgate st.

It mentions Thomas Wilson of Coleorton, Leicester
Mary Wilson sister (who died 1827)

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 May 15 03:40 BST (UK) »
SMGreen
Would be interested in what other information you have on Thomas Wilson. He is my 4th grt grandfather on my maternal side.  Born abt 1767 Derbyshire, Leicestershire married Elizabeth Evans[1778-1851] 11 Oct 1801 and died 29 Dec 1840 at Worthington Field, Breedon on the Hill, Derbyshire, Leicestershire.  His GRO death cert showed him as a Late Publican, present at death Mary Wilson, daughter.
Children William 1802-1814, Thomas 1804-1877, Elizabeth* 1807-1870[married George Proudman* 19 July 1835], John 1809-1884, Jane 1814-1895, Mary 1816-1905, William 1818-1884.
Presume his father was William as 2 sons called William.  [* = maternal connection]
Have never found anything on his birth so would be interested if you have uncovered any other information about his parents.

Thank you

Frank English
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline smgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 04:34 BST (UK) »
Heres another will for this family

Name:
Thomas Wilson Esquire

Probate Date:
11 Mar 1808

Residence:
Colverton, Leicestershire, England
on ancestery

Offline smgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
And his brother of Thomas Wilson will above

Name:
Thomas Wilson Esquire

Probate Date:
11 Mar 1808

Residence:
Colverton, Leicestershire, England

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm inquiring specifically about Jane Wilson (1814-1895) who is shown as the daughter of Thomas Wilson. Can anyone confirm if this is the same Jane Wilson who married John Webb in 1846 in Burton-Upon-Trent?
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon, Yes I am related to Jane Wilson, she was the sister of William Wilson who is my direct ancestor.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. So, Jane and John Webb are my direct ancestors and were the parents of Frances Jane Webb who married William James Turner in Burton-Upon-Trent. The Turners emigrated to the United States in about 1883. While I've been able to find some information about these families it's rather sparse - possibly because I'm researching from the US. Judging from the posts here though it seems like not a lot is really known about this Wilson family regardless. Do you have any additional details that could be provided? While I'm looking for names, dates and locations, I am also especially interested in any biographical information - who they were, what they did, etc., as well as pictures of any family members. Does the book about the pottery provide any information about the family and their involvement?
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 February 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There is quite a lot of information on the Wilson family thanks to their involvement in Coleorton Pottery.  I strongly recommend the book "Coleorton Pottery 1835-1938" by Samuel T Stewart, I helped provide some family history information on the Wilson family for this book and it contains very many interesting details about our ancestors lives. Samuel Stewart has done an excellent job!

Unfortunately there has been no progress on tracing the family any further back from Jane's father, Thomas Wilson who was born 1767 in Donisthorpe, Leicestershire.  How interesting that Frances Jane & her family emigrated to the US, no wonder I have not been able to trace her after the 1881 census.  I would love any information you may have about the Turner family after this date to add to my tree.

Jane's brothers continued to run the Pottery after their fathers death and made a very good business of it.  Jane was a beneficiary in her brother Thomas' will, he left her £850 which would have the same spending worth of £41,063.50 today.  I can send you a copy if you like, send me a personal message.

All the best
Susan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 September 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I believe I have confirmed the parentage and family of the 1767 Thomas Wilson. A will for Thomas Wilson of Donisthorpe, dated May 1, 1809, (probated in April 1812), includes the following:
•Six surviving children in total.
•Son, William Wilson, receives the majority of the estate.
•Daughter, Lidia Roughton.
•Son, Thomas Wilson.
•Daughter, Ann Wilson, receives rent from a house in Barton under Needwood.
•Daughter, Mary Litherland
•Daughter, Jane Orgill
•Grandson, John Brooks
•Granddaughter, Ann Roughton
•Grandson, William Wilson, not yet age 14.
•Son-in-law, John Brooks of Netherseal, will executor, along with William Wilson.

This Thomas Wilson probably died in Netherseal, where he was buried December 22, 1811. The children listed in the will all align with the following Wilson children:
•Ann: Baptized February 7, 1763, in Netherseal, and buried in Netherseal, February 9, 1763, dau of Thomas and Ann.
•Elizabeth: Baptized April 29, 1764, in Netherseal, dau of Thomas and Ann. Married John Brooks November 20, 1788, in Church Gresley (same date as her sister, Lydia). Buried in Netherseal on October 26, 1791.
•Thomas: Baptized June 26, 1767, of Donisthorpe, but recorded in Stretton en le Field, son of Thomas and Mary
•Lydia: Baptized December 28, 1769, of Donisthorpe, but recorded in Stretton en le Field, dau of Thomas and Mary. Married John Roughton, in Church Gresley, November 20, 1788, (same date as her sister, Elizabeth) at the age of 19, per the marriage license, Thomas Wilson Farmer of Gresley attested he was her father. Buried October 15, 1809, Measham, Leicestershire.
•Anne: Baptized October 19, 1772, Donisthorpe, but recorded in Stretton en le Field, dau of Thomas and Mary. Unmarried as of 1809.
•Mary: Baptized January 1, 1775, in Netherseal, dau of Thomas and Ann.  Married Samuel Litherland, Abbleby Magna, January 21, 1806. Buried December 13, 1846, in Appleby, age 73.
•William: Baptized January 27, 1777, in Netherseal, son of Thomas and Ann; Married Sarah Morgan October 26, 1808, in Church Gresley; Buried July 7, 1848, Church Gresley
•Jane: Baptized June 20, 1779, in Netherseal, dau of Thomas and Ann. Married Thomas Orgill, Church Gresley Sept. 12, 1801. Buried October 19, 1827, Church Gresley.

All of these children are included in the will, except the first Ann, who died soon after birth, and Elizabeth, who died in 1791, but whose husband and son were included. William Wilson, who died in 1848, also included most of these same people and more in his will, thereby helping to verify the family structure.

Thomas Wilson is almost certainly the Thomas Wilson who married Anne Mosely, May 11, 1761, in Church Gresley. She was buried March 30, 1803, in Netherseal.

The only challenge I have here is that the records for Thomas’ three children who were baptized in Donisthorpe all say their mother’s name was Mary, while all of the other children, baptized in Netherseal, were the children of Thomas and Ann. I have been unable to locate any marriage or death records to indicate Thomas had been widowed and remarried to someone named Mary, or remarried again to another Ann. This leads me to believe the Stretton-en-le-Field parish record book was incorrect in stating the mother’s name was Mary, when it should have been Ann. I have nothing to back that up either way. No matter what though, the records are clear that these children, including the Thomas born in 1767, are all of the same family and children of Thomas who died in 1811.

I have yet to determine the origins of their parents, Thomas Wilson and Ann Mosely.  If any of you are still researching this family and have any thoughts or additions to all of this, please let me know.

Regards,
Jon