Author Topic: Gypsies/travellers around Holmes Chapel, Cheshire in the 1930s and 40s  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Gypsies/travellers around Holmes Chapel, Cheshire in the 1930s and 40s
« on: Monday 20 January 14 13:45 GMT (UK) »
This is a very long shot, and I doubt whether it will work, but it's worth a go.

My grandad, Ted Jones, was born in 1907 and lived all his adult life in or very close to Holmes Chapel, Cheshire. He was a gardener at Saltersford reformatory school and was very keen on his dogs and horses, and had various horse drawn traps and other vehicles. My father remembers that he was very friendly with the travelling community, with whom he bought and sold horses.
Some time around 1940, his wife (my grandma) became ill with pneumonia. My grandad bought a showman's caravan from his traveller friends, and the family (including my dad and his brother, who were very young) lived in the caravan, in the grounds of the school farm up until the death of my grandma in 1944.

is there any way of finding out more about who these "gypsies" were? They played an important part in my family's history and it would be interesting to know more about who they might have been, if at all possible.

Thanks for reading this, and for any clues.

Mike

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies/travellers around Holmes Chapel, Cheshire in the 1930s and 40s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Mike. If you have a surname. Or even a  nickname. It may be possible. But by our nature we travel. So although the romany folk may have been in your area. They could be from anywhere? Without a name I think it is impossible. Good luck anyway.  Rob. ..
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies/travellers around Holmes Chapel, Cheshire in the 1930s and 40s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply and yes, I agree that it's probably impossible!

Regards

Mike