Author Topic: Help with dilema  (Read 865 times)

Offline Meredith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with dilema
« on: Monday 20 June 05 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, 
I'm hoping someone can give me advice about contacting a living relative.
I found on a death certificate of one of my husbands distant cousins who died in 2001 aged 99. the name & address of her niece.  What is the best way, should I write to her(assuming she is still at the same place) & explain that I I've been doing the family tree?  Or should I phone her?  I'm a little worried that she may not like how I got her details, even though they are on public record.

Thanks 

Meredith
Cronk-Greenwich & Gravesend<br />Turner-Greenwich & Finsbury<br />Lyons-Greenwich<br />Billingsley-Greenwich<br />Cleveland-Greenwich<br />Pritchard-Bermondsey<br />Johnson-Bermondsey & Godalming<br />Fannin-Bermondsey,Rotherhith, Liverpool & Ireland<br />Martin-Bermonsey<br />Vane-Bermondsey & Whitechapel <br />Madewell-Whitechapel<br />Nipe-Whitechapel<br />Stevenson-Ulster<br />Geddis-Ulster<br />Clark-Ulster<br />Robson-Ulster<br />Stuart-Ulster, Rowley, Bangor, N/Ireland,McAnally, Deptford

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
Re: Help with dilema
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Meredith

Personally I would phone.

I have done this on a number of occasions and never yet got a rebuff.

If you have the wrong person, nothing lost and if it is the right one then it is up to them if they don't want to respond.

At least it saves all the time of waiting for the post and wondering why nothing has come back.

I always start my conversation with, "Sorry to trouble you, I wonder if you could help me please"

The request for help always seems to break the ice, for me anyway.

Best of luck

Robert

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 05 17:39 BST (UK) »
The time honoured method is to write giving brief details and explain your interest enclosing a stamped addressed envelope.
Wait six to eight weeks for a reply if no reply send a second request again enclosing a SAE and apologising for bothering her again.
If there is still no reply leave it find another source of information.

Do not telephone such contacts, that is normally viewed as an intrusion into their lives.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 05 18:23 BST (UK) »
Meredith,

If there is a telephone number, I ring, along the lines Robert has said, to check that it is the right person, then I follow up with a letter explaining what I know about "our" side of the family.  Then call again about a week or 2 later to discuss it.

As far as I am concerned if they view the call as an intrusion into their lives, why do they have their telephone number in the Phone Book?

GOOD LUCK !
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire