Author Topic: Filkins, Oxfordshire  (Read 4293 times)

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Filkins, Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

How's it going?

That is a nice piece of work finding that - well done.

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I think that one has been discounted because if you use fanilysearch for theyer townsend there are two of them in the 1851 census summary, I should have spotted that earlier.  :-[ :-[ :-[

mike

added, I am puzzled that although he is certain about his place of birth as filkins he is not sure of his age.

I do wonder if he was born there but maybe baptised elsewhere, or there are some other reasons why he is so hard to find other than missing records.

I am still puzzled why the Rev Robert Lawrence Townsend christened his son 18 months after the birth

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »

I do wonder if he was born there but maybe baptised elsewhere, or there are some other reasons why he is so hard to find other than missing records.

I am still puzzled why the Rev Robert Lawrence Townsend christened his son 18 months after the birth

[/quote]

Mike
I agree that it seems he was born and baptised in separate locations - not unusual in my findings over the years.
Like wise leaving a child until 18 months is equally not unusual except it is because his dad was a vicar

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Why get married by license when on the face of it a normal marriage by banns seems perfectly possible, did he want to avoid having banns read in the parish where he was living.

mike

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 January 14 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I find there are several reasons why people married by licence; On this occaision I can only think
it was because Theyer was from Withington, Gloucs.   and Elizabeth was from Latton, Wilts.
Across county borders and different Dioceses.

I didn't find any "Theyer" Townsends on FamilySearch but using A...y  did find him once only in the 1851 census  born about 1803 Filkins with his family which includes a son Theyer.
Is that who you are referring to when you said there were two of them?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline frothycoffee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 January 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all who are helping me,

I'll dig around to try and track the Rev Robert Lawrence Townsend. There are quite a lot of records showing up on the Ancestry website and they all seem to be related so I've some work to do to pull together a family tree for him. The will mentioned by "Mazi" Is the earliest reference so far for the Rev RTL (1830) It details property etc in Steanbridge so it's not a coincidence, it is the same family.  However he names only two sons Robert Lawrence, William Lawrence and a daughter Elizabeth no Theyer so it doesn't look on the face of it helpful.   However I've also found a reference on the website British History Online referring to combining a bequest of Theyer Townsend who by will dated 1801 left £100, the interest to be distributed in bread on St. Thomas's day. Now I've just got to find the will.

With regard to the comments about marriage by license the thoughts by Alan were the same as mine,  Theyer was from a different parish and diocese to his bride to be, but as always open to suggestions.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 January 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
A few odds and ends which may be connected:

Before Filkins had its own church, the inhabitants often used the parish church at Broughton Poggs.

There is only one TOWNSEND baptism at Broughton P. in the time frame 1790-1820. This is Sophia, baptised 13 April 1806 d/o Daniel and Elizabeth Townsend of Filkins.

Sophia Townsend married Edmund Lane at St Mary de Lode, Gloucester 20 June 1822 (by banns)

Sophia Lane, born Filkins c 1808/9 shows up in censuses living at Chedworth (1841), Sevenhampton (1851) and Cheltenham (1861).  She is recorded as married in 1851, widowed in 1861, but Edmund doesn't show up with her at all.

A Daniel Townsend aged 66 was buried at Withington 27 December 1826. (Gloucestershire Burial index)

Theyer and Elizabeth Townsend had a son named Daniel baptised at Chedworth on21 May 1837 (familysearch.org).  A 3 year old Daniel Townsend was buried at Chedworth 16 April 1840.
Daniel seems to have been their eldest son.  Their eldest daughter is named Elizabeth.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 January 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I didn't find any "Theyer" Townsends on FamilySearch but using A...y  did find him once only in the 1851 census  born about 1803 Filkins with his family which includes a son Theyer.
Is that who you are referring to when you said there were two of them?

Alan

I may have misled myself but a search o  familysearch for theyer townsend,   any event,   place England   1790-1860 produces two death entries

theyer townsend
b 1809
d 1887  northleach

theyer Lawrence townsend  (likely Roberts son)
b 1807
d1879  stratford on avon

mike

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 January 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Is this relevant to your search?

http://postimg.org/image/gyc2at1nj/