Author Topic: Poor law records - transcriptions? Harold Nicholls / Nichol  (Read 543 times)

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor law records - transcriptions? Harold Nicholls / Nichol
« on: Monday 20 January 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am reseraching my great grand father Harold Nicholls / Nichol. According to the 1911 census, he may have been fostered as a 'nurse child' , with the name Harold Nichol. His marriage certificate (Harold Nicholls) suggests that he may have been born in 1902, father unknown, birthplace Wimbledon. I have ordered a birth certificate that may be his...

I have recently found the London poor Law records online, including admissions, discharges etc, on another family history website. Does anyone know if searchable transcriptions of these large books are available, or do I need to read through every page - there are hundreds!

I hope that makes some sense - I am just starting out in tracing family history, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Poor law records - transcriptions? Harold Nicholls / Nichol
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Links to previous post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674069.msg5196638#msg5196638

Why are you looking for Poor Law (Workhouse) records before you get his birth cert?   You need to first ascertain who his mother was.  He was born after 1901 and was with a family in 1911 so at the moment - there is no connection to the Workhouse

If his birth cert shows he was born in the WH - then you will have an actual date of birth and a mothers name to make enquiries on

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poor law records - transcriptions? Harold Nicholls / Nichol
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Family rumour suggests that he may have 'been found on the steps' of a workhouse / children's home, so that's why I was looking at the London admissions of children, and to see if I could find any discharges that matched up with Harold being fostered out in / before 1911. 

I have records for him from 1928, (Marriage) and electoral rolls and employment records from 1930s, but his life before then is a bit of a mystery!

Thanks,

Laura