Author Topic: Quaker Marriages  (Read 5304 times)

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quaker Marriages
« on: Tuesday 21 January 14 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a date for a marriage between George Priestman b 06 June and 1686 and Elizabeth ??
birthdate unknown. The marriage was according to Quaker ritual in Cumberland and would probably have been around 1705 - 1715. Any help would be much appreciated.
UncleJohn :)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 05:03 GMT (UK) »
So doing a search of UK non conformist bmd registers at www.bmdregisters.co.uk brings up the birth of a Joseph Priestman (father, George) 1717 Cumberland and the burial of an Elizabeth Priestman (husband/father George) in 1718 cumberland - are these the family?
I see Joseph (listing father George) marrying 1742 Cumberland
All listing RG6 - Quakers

Can't see any marriage for a George Priestman (or Pr*n) & Elizabeth in the time period .... perhaps they BECAME quakers after their marriage and before baptism of Joseph?  That is, of course, if I am talking about the correct family  ???
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I made the correct assumption in previous post, but if I have then this is potentially interesting

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924029786872#page/n57/mode/2up

Perhaps elizabeth was his second wife?
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I had to make a trip into London and pay a small donation but the Quaker Library were very helpful when I was looking for old records

www.quaker.org.uk/library

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 14 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Cocksie,
Yes! that's the correct family. It's difficult trying to go so far back when all you are able to use is the internet ( I'm in Australia). I believe the family were Quakers as far back as Thomas but then again I have no way of checking.  Thank you for trying.
John

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 14 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Dawnsh,
Thanks for the tip about the website. I'll certainly give it a try and see what happens.

Cocksie.
I should have said George - I know they lived on the same farm "Deer Rudding" , which I believe is near Greystoke in Cumberland.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 14 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, I have the right family.
Books and stuff on the internet seem to connect your George Priestman with the Yorkshire Priestmans (ie one of the Yorkshire Priestman brother, George (John and Richard being the other brothers) headed off to Cumberland and started a Priestman branch there) and indicate your George was born about 1642.  So the link I posted is one of these books online with the Priestman Pedigree.  All the books seem to state that George Priestman married a Jane Priestman in the 1680s (from memory).  It might be worth paying to look at Joseph's Quaker birth record ..... does it actually state his mother as Elizabeth?????

Just wondering about this as some trees on line have somehow decided that this George married an Elizabeth ...... when all the books I had a look at clearly state that it was his brother John (or Richard, can't remember now) married an Elizabeth (surname is stated) and that George married a Jane Priestman (possibly cousin).  Alternatively, maybe Jane died and George remarried an Elizabeth cos Jane would be pretty old in 1719 to be giving birth.  Regardless, this Priestman family were pretty well known quakers so it is odd that I can't find any quaker record for George before 1719 .... having said that, it does seem the Cumberland quaker records are a little slim on the ground before about 1720.
cocksie

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Cocksie,
Thanks for all the info. I have a record of George being born in Cumberland in 1686 and I am pretty sure I have the right man as it gives his place of birth as Dear Ridding (Deer Rudding) which was (or still is) the name of the farm occupied by the Priestmans' from ???? until 1826 when William Strong married Mary Priestman and the Strongs' then started to farm it. It was in the Strongs' hands until 1945 when William up and left and I don't know what happened to it then. I didn't know about the Yorkshire connection though so thank you for that information. It was my understanding that the Quakers were started by George Fox somewhere around 1650. You certainly have given me a lot to think about - I only hope I can manage to track it all down via the internet.
Uncle John

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 14 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest - who is George's father?
Cocksie