Author Topic: Margaret Alice Corrin lost Grand Mother in Isle of Man  (Read 9385 times)

Offline pennytree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Alice Corrin lost Grand Mother in Isle of Man
« on: Tuesday 21 January 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello hope you can help!
 I am trying to find any information about my friends grand mother, she gave away her father (six week old) to be looked after by the paternal family in Haydock in December 1914.
 I know both her parents and siblings, but have NO information about Margaret after 1915. She was born 26 June 1891 Margaret Alice Corrin, parents William Henry Corrin 1870-1932 and Sarah Mary Corrin nee Cain 1869 -1932 both died in Douglas. Birth certificate shows she was unmarried with child Fred Douglas Pimblett Corrin born 7 Nov 1914 in Douglas, at 17 castle street, Douglas occupation Domestic Servant living with her great Aunt Mary Alice Cain.
 Her older sister Florence Mirian Corrin born 20 Jan 1890 (also missing) and her younger brother Thomas William Cain Corrin 1896-1979 died in Douglas.
 The Corrin family had a Butchers business on Castle street, Douglas in the 1870s - 1880s, Margaret was never with her parents on the 1901 or 1911 census, must have been hard to give up her child :(
Have checked all Isle of man BMD electronic information on the web no marriage or death she just disappear? 
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
  Penny

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Alice Corrin lost Grand Mother in Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

In 1891, Florence is with her Cain grandparents but so are her parents - William & Sarah M Corrin

In 1901 - is Margaret possibly the Alice Corrin b 1891 Douglas but living with her grandmother Elizabeth Voudy 76 - she may be a great grandmother given her age 

In 1901 - Thomas aged 4 is with his parents but no other children.  Florence is with her grandfather Thomas Cain but is shown as aged 6 instead of aged 11

The 1911 index has a Florence Corrin b 1890 living in the IOM

Manipulation of the index shows parents were William Henry & Sarah Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline pennytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole,
Thank you for all your research - this verifies information on my tree. The main issue I am trying to do is to find Margaret Alice Corrin AFTER 1915. Got all previous census information, checked BMD on the Isle of Man using numerous search sites and also immigration records with no results.
Thanks again for your help,
Regards
Penny

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have looked at any death notices for parents in the Manx papers (+ also any MI's for them as may have a ref to children) - often very useful re mourners - also if Margt Alice still had family on Island you often find a notice re any marriage + also birth of 1st child occuring off Island
(you do need to pay tho www.imuseum.im)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have looked at the Death Records, for Margaret Alice and vies versa, and  no surname, and putting in her birth date 26 June 1891, from the Christening Record, and nothing conclusive comes up, do you have here Birth Certificate, to confirm that the date on the Christening Record is the date she was born.

Are there any Electoral Register's that can be checked, have you check the Births with mothers maiden name Corrin

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could this be Florence

Marriage

Florence M Corrin m Joseph Leaman
Jan Qtr 1916 Birkenhead Cheshire
8a
288 ?

There are 5 Leaman/Corrin children, I will not name them, as they maybe still alive

1917 Birkenhead
1921 Birkenhead
1923 N Forest Hampshire
1925 N Forest Sussex
1928 N Forest Hampshire

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline pennytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margp,
All I have are the electronic records from Lawson BMD, for the birth stating CORRIN, Margaret Alice 26 Jun 1891 Douglas page 913 CORRIN, William Henry CAIN, Sarah Mary and the Isle of Man Births and Baptism 1821-1921 also confirming Margaret's birth.
 I have the full birth certificate of her illegitimate son Fred Douglas Pimblett Corrin,  born 7 Nov 1914 at 17 Castle Street, Douglas, Mother Margaret Alice Corrin a Domestic Servant registered 9 Dec 1914.  I have managed to find enough information about her past life, was hoping to find out, what happened to her from 1915 onwards with no luck. She had to give up little Fred 6 weeks old to his paternal side of the family in Haydock, Lancashire. Margaret became the missing grandmother :(
Thanks very much for your help
Regards
Penny

Offline pennytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margp,
Thanks very much for your help, I will check the information about Birkenhead, you have just helped me with an unproven theory that Margaret's older adopted sister Phoebe moved to Birkenhead married a Joseph Higgins. I found a death for a Margaret A Corrin died in Birkenhead in 1955 but needed more evidence to support this theory.
Regards
Penny

Offline pennytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have looked at any death notices for parents in the Manx papers (+ also any MI's for them as may have a ref to children) - often very useful re mourners - also if Margt Alice still had family on Island you often find a notice re any marriage + also birth of 1st child occuring off Island
(you do need to pay tho www.imuseum.im)
Thank you Frances mnb, this might be my next step.
Regards
Penny