Author Topic: Listed on census twice  (Read 3204 times)

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Listed on census twice
« on: Tuesday 13 July 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather appears to be listed twice on the 1901 census. Once at home with wife and children and once a couple of miles away with parents. No other records list 2 men with the same name in the area. Does anyone know how likely it is that he would be listed twice?
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Listed on census twice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 09:01 BST (UK) »
I've had the same thing on the 81 census. my gggms brother was 6 and was listed with his mother in Aberystwyth and in Tregaron with his grandparents, 18 miles away cross country.

The best explanation I got was that he was actually staying with is grandparents, as his mother was recently widowed and looking after another 2, smaller children, but gave is name as living in the household, although he wasn't actually there at the time.

So I think although not a common occurrence, it does happen that someone is listed twice.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline fuchsiamagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Listed on census twice
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 04 23:54 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Arthur Budge is listed twice on the 1881 census. Once at 34 Fore Street St Germans (RG11 2281 F24 Page 10) and again on board the vessel "Indus" at Devonport (RG11/2214 F150 Page 21). I suppose this was because he was counted at home by one enumerator, then counted again by another when he reached his ship. So it did happen.
Regards, Chris.
MARTIN, Kensington
BUDGE, St Germans
GREENWOOD, Barking
BARKER, Huyton Lancs
LEWIS, Bicknoller
WILLS, Taunton
PERCY, Dagenham
BEER, Great Torrington
HILL, Hants