Author Topic: John and Goffrey/Godfrey/Geoffrey(?) Jones and Mary Edwards  (Read 6900 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Goffrey/Godfrey/Geoffrey(?) Jones and Mary Edwards
« on: Wednesday 22 January 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
In the 1843 Groes Faen will of Mary Edwards(nee Jones- married William Edwards 1803,Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy),she makes provision for her brother Robert Jones of Talybidwel Fawr(who dies in 1849,will also available) and for her nephew Goffrey(?) son of her late brother John.
Robert,I believe marries Jane Jones in Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy in 1800 and is later buried there.
William Edwards witnesses Robert's marriage and vice versa.
I think these siblings(John,Robert,Mary) may be the children of Robert Jones(died 1805,Cil Eurych,will also available).It looks to me that on the 1851 census Cil Eurych(with the usual mistranscription) is next to Groes Faen.
This all looks feasible,but I can't find obvious records for John and Goffrey(?)
Can anybody make suggestions?

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John and Goffrey/Godfrey/Geoffrey(?) Jones and Mary Edwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 00:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a Godfrey Jones in Llangollen in the 1841 Census given as born c 1826 with a John Jones given as born c 1796.Both are given as born in County.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks WRJ-I had seen that but felt that the John concerned might be too young to be a sibling of Robert of Talybidwal,probably born c 1766,and Mary of Groes Faen,probably born c.1761.However, I have known the 1841 ages to be out by more than the normal rounding would suggest and a date for John in  the 1780s might not be impossible.Finding a link of that John is another matter.
Thanks again.

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Another Godfrey to consider is one found living in Liverpool from 1841,said to be born in Denbighshire in c 1811 in later years.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I did have a look at him and from memory,at the moment,traced him back to Llanfair DC and his father wasn't a John.
I thought there might be a possible variant on the original theme,in that the John(with son Godfrey circa 1826) is the son of a John who also has a son Godfrey(Chirk 1799).It involved a family at Cae(au) Gwynion,but the 1819 will I thought appropriate didn't mention a son Godfrey.Further,the older Godfrey should still be alive and on the 1841 census(as he was specified in an 1843 will).
He could be in the missing parts of the 1841 census ,of course,but I can't identify him in 1851 or an intervenig death either.
I am doing this from memory at the moment-I'll re-examine it properly this afternoon.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:48 GMT (UK) »
My memory was faulty.The will for John Jones Caeau Gwynion was actually a bond and in 1795.This obviously rules him out as the father of Godfrey born 1799,but it is still possible that he had a son John who had sons Godfrey(1799) and John(1792).This John(1792) could then be the
father of the Godfrey(circa 1826) as per the 1841 census.
All this in turn would mean that the John(bond 1795) would have to be the father of Mary Edwards (Groes Faen) and Robert Jones(Talybidwal).I cannot tell at the moment whether this isb likely or not.I now know their father was not Robert Jones of Cileurych as apart from  a Mary,John and Robert his will refers to a daughter Catherine whereas Mary Edwards refers to a sister Jane.
I think I will leave the quest for Godfrey for the moment.I thought with such a relatively uncommon name it might lead via his father John to the parents of Robert Jones and Mary Edwards which is my main interest.
Thanks again,WRJ,for your interest.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 January 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found one of the parents of Mary Edwards(nee Jones) and Robert Jones,but it has thrown up another query that raises some doubt as follows:
There is an 1808 will at NLW for Robert Jones of Groesvaun(sic),Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy,who as well as having the same(?) address as Mary Edwards(1761-1843),has children Robert,John and Jane(as well as Mary) to match the siblings in Mary's will.
Mary's husband William Edward's(1762-1839) will specifies nieces:-
Mary Jones    Plas Newydd Corwen
Elizabeth Hughes  Ty Mawr Corwen
These,I think, are the married daughters of John(1753-1846) and Jane(1757-1849) Edwards,who have other children
Edward Edwards  Llwyn y Brain
Jane Edwards Fedw
Margaret Jones (nee Edwards) Fedw

These also match the children specified for Mary's sister Jane leading to a possible conclusion that  sisters Mary and Jane married brothers William and John.

However,I can't find an appropriate marriage for John Edwards and Jane Jones.There is a marriage that looks exactly right for place and time-1782,Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy but it is with a Jane Roberts(William Edwards and John Roberts witnesses)It could be a second marriage for Jane,but I can't find a first,and the name of the second witness could be significant.

Any comments welcome

Regards
Roger

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Haven't got a sub for British newspapers archive, but on the search have come across this snippet in the results, which may be of interest if someone can look at it

“... time by private contract), All that rage or Tcncmenr, Lands and with the appurtenances, commonly called by the names LLWYN-Y-BRAIN, TIR LAD, and CAE-CROS VANE, ... ”

Thursday 29 September 1785 ,  Hereford Journal

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
and also this sale notice

“... (subject condition*) Fee-Simple and Inheritance follow ini FARMS and LANDS, situate in the townships Hendre Vorfydd, ami Tal y Bidwell, in the several parishes of ... ”

Friday 01 September 1815 ,  Chester Chronicle ,