Author Topic: Nelson Grave Ballymena  (Read 5332 times)

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelson Grave Ballymena
« on: Thursday 23 January 14 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm visiting Ireland next week and will be stopping in Ballymena, sadly I only have one day there to find which Cemetery my Nelson family are buried.  I have a photo of the grave but it doesn't say where.

What I do know is...

John lived With his family at 41 James Street until he and Margaret married on 26th Dec 1900 then they both lived at 69 Larne Street with Margaret's parents (McLean).  In 1911 they have their own place in Alfred Street.

Until the other day, I presumed they had stayed in Alfred Street permenantly but my Mother has since told me that she visited them in the early 1950s and she remembers them living in a cottage in the countryside. She also thinks she remembers her Mother saying that John, who used to be a Labourer and Sawyer became a policeman.  I'm wondering if maybe they moved into police accommodation but doubt that would be a cottage in the countryside, I don't know.

She is also quite sure that John was a member of the Orange Order in Ballymena. Would contacting Orange Order help do you think? I'm not so sure that is the kind of information that would be given out mind you.

I don't know when either of them died, which really doesn't help narrow things down either.  I'm sure i'll enjoy my visit whether I find the grave or not but would love to have visited.

Thanks for reading, any advice in how to approach this would be greatly appreciated. 
MACDONALD:- Glasgow and Ireland possibly Ballymena
McCORMACK - Glasgow and Ireland
DINNEEN -     Glasgow, London, Ramsgate, Suffolk, Co Kerry, Co Cork
NELSON and McLEAN - Ballymena Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson Grave Ballymena
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hmm... not much time then and there is a very slim chance that the stone is gone. Could you post the picture of the headstone that you have so that we can look for more clues? If you can't do that please post the entire wording on the stone.

I take it that you'd no luck finding a gravestone on the Ballymena site recommended over 3 years ago? not sure if they've added more since then but had a look just now- several Nelson graves but none for a John & wife Margaret.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=453246.msg3149152#msg3149152

A few clues for us on an early topic of yours- www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=418827
Since they were Church of Ireland that's the most likely place to find a grave (and C. of I. usually keep burial registers) unless somewhere like Ballymena Cemetery, etc.
Marriage was in Ballyclug C. of I. so, although it would be the bride's church the groom might also have been from there.

I am wondering about John's occupation as in 1901 he's a blacksmith's labourer and in 1911 general labourer.

There are Valuation Revision Books online (free on PRONI's site) but they only go up to 1929 which isn't recent enough.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   If John was a policeman I understand that he would not have been able to serve in the area where  he was brought up.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
  I have a photo of the grave but it doesn't say where.

I don't know when either of them died.

Does the photo not show dates on headstone?

Also, have you previously read this interesting post - it confirms he was indeed a member of the Orange Order?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13937

Something else to consider re the 'policeman' possibility........given his army service, might it have been that he was in the Ulster Special Constabulary in the 1920s?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 14 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey.

No, I didn't have any luck back then either. I've uploaded the photo, which doesn't give very much away either.

In 1933 John is noted on his daughters marriage cert as being a "Wood Sawyer" so this Policeman story doesn't sit well with me as he would have been over 55yrs old when he joined up, I don't know much about it but I imagine that's a wee bit old to be starting a new career but hey, who knows. 

Thanks Kingskerswell, if he did join up that could explain the move to the country.

Was there a sawmill outside of Town maybe?

Scotmum, I'll go have a read at that now.

Thanks again guys, I know it isn't much to go on.

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 January 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that photo is so big  ???

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 January 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum, that is definately him 20 Alfred St.  What an amazing find, thank you so much, the hairs on my neck stood up when I read the extracts of his letters.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 January 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant find, scotmum!

It is really unfortunate that the only wording on the gravestone is 'Nelson' but here's a few thoughts from what is in the picture.
1) it is in a churchyard (not cemetery) as there is a large section of uncut grass behind grave with what looks like older graves in background, Probably a 'new' section of churchyard (new grave on right?)
2) stone, surround and small stones inside surround look quite fresh (no weeds between stones, etc.) so possible photo taken not long after erected
3) only one 'wreath' inside surround- probably pre-dates surround/stone. White porcelain flowers/leaves with glass cover and wire cover over whole to protect glass- started in Victorian times in this style (tall) and then became wider but not sure how recently they were in fashion.
4) think this style of stone/surround would have been post-WWI
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
You said you are visiting Ballymena soon, if you have time, pop into the Local Studies Department at the Library there. Give the staff the date of the newspaper article ie July 21 1916 edition, Ballymena Observer and I am sure they will be happy to help you find it on the microfilm copies they hold. For a small charge, you can then print off a copy of the original article.

Near the library is The Braid Museum, again, if you have time, you may find it an interesting place to have a look around:

http://www.thebraid.com/museum.aspx

Another snippet - the article indicates John worked for a time at Cosbie & Co. on Ballymoney Street, Ballymena. This picture suggests it was a sawmill:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37492850@N08/6065223455/

and checking the 1910 Ulster Towns Directory confirms that, amongst other things, it was indeed:

http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Ballymena-4.php

COSBIE, JAMES, & CO., Timber, Slate, Tile, Iron, and Coal Merchants, Steam Saw Mills, and Monumental Works, Ballymoney Street

interestingly, they also did Monumental Works.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .