Author Topic: Challenging Russian Ancestry of Gregory Elfimoff  (Read 2289 times)

Offline hollyanndro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Challenging Russian Ancestry of Gregory Elfimoff
« on: Thursday 23 January 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for 'Gregory Elfimoff' (I believe that was his full translation name) but it is proving rather difficult because of the three step translation process from Russian to English with the surname having variants of [Elffmoff-Elfimoff-Elifmoff-Elffmov-Elifmov-Elfimov-Elfimova] and so on during translation. But I do believe that in Russian his name was 'Григорий Елфимов' and that his name untouched during translation would have been 'Grigory Elfimov'.
I also believe that he had a son, John/Ivan (  ::) also translation confusion) -in Russian 'Иван Елфимов'- who was born around 1875 in Ufa, Russia.

Can you help me out with any information on Gregory and his wife/children/parents?  ???

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Challenging Russian Ancestry of Gregory Elfimoff
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:56 GMT (UK) »
hi ,there is a tree on line which shows  the son son john born 15 oct 1875 in samara, Volga river area Russia he was living in new York in 1940 and died in new York his wife is domna 1880-1949. shows 3 children one is private   so may still be alive ,also paul johanas 1911-1989. &peter born 1923

johns father shown as grigory elfimoff mother name not shown

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
a photo from the tree of john born 1875

Offline Noom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi my grandfathers name in English was Paul Johanas Elffmoff. He was born in Russia but got out before the revolution. His parents brought him here too Australia with his sister Vie. I don't have any other names for Vie and don't know the names of my great grandparent's. He had five children, two were born Elffmoff and the other three were born Efeimoff. What happened was when he was in the army they gave him his English name, but was done so incorrectly. So my fathers name was Paul Johanas Elffmoff, and my uncle Was born Alexanda Efeimoff. The other three children were girls and took on their husbands names and were left unaffected. I don't know if we are related to Gregory Elfimoff, there was mention of family in America too.

Offline Foltarz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi my Great Great Grandfather was Grigory Elfimoff born 15 Oct 1875 • Samara, Russia he he had a son John Elfimoff who was a Russian ANZAC and is on the registry as one, my Great Great Grandmother is unknown and not much is known about the Russian side, but John Elfimoff married my Great Grandmother Domna Elffmoff was born 01 FEB 1897 • Ufa, Russia as I understand only had 2 children to John Elfimoff named (Pavel) Paul Johanas Elffmoff 26 NOV 1911 • Ufa, Russia and died in 04 NOV 1989 • Maryborough Base Hospital, Maryborough he did have a sister  Nina Dorn Efeimoff who was born in 1944 but died 07 March 1953 • Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia.

I do know that Domna Elffmoff moved to America at some point and John Elfimoff went and brought her back to Australia, where she stayed until her death 25 DEC 1949 • Brisbane, Queensland other than this I do know that Domna Elffmoff or my Great Grandfather John Elfimoff had 3 other children as to their location it is unknown by me, but I do understand their is some in the USA and maybe Australia but this I cannot confirm.

Offline Noom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
Well Paul Johanas Efeimoff/ Elffmoff was my grandfather and he and my father told me about aunt Vie. She died a few years before my grandfather. I'm not sure about anyone else but by what you have said is all true, some I was told and forgotten as it was so many years ago. My grandfather never taught his family Russian, which upsets me. I think it was the fact that there was the promise of being shot if any of the family returned, so this helped prevent this. As for Nina she was my Aunt, and yes she died young from Tetanus or lock jaw as its commonly known. My father was the eldest called Paul Johanas Elffmoff, then there was either my Aunt Nina or my Aunt Ellen not sure of her second name but born Elffmoff. Then there was aunt Evelin Efeimoff Aunt Zoya Efeimoff and Uncle Alexander Efeimoff. Not sure of their second names or any of my Aunts married names. Sorry I can't be any more help here. My poppy loved to cut gems and shoot and was a member of the local rifle range. Sorry I don't have any photo's. Do you know if we were related toTzar Alexander?

Offline Noom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry, in the last message it was tzar Nicholas. The picture showing the family would be my great grand parents with aunty Vie as the eldist the baby was my grandfather, just before they came out to Australia. My grandfather learnt to walk an the ship, so had no memories of Russia. Great uncle peter was born over twelve years later and so the older two were married before my great grandparents went to America. Can I ask if your family?