Author Topic: Yorkshire West Riding Volunteers units Boer war 1899 to 1902  (Read 1918 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire West Riding Volunteers units Boer war 1899 to 1902
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 January 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
There are two sets of papers on Findmypast (one in WO97 and one in WO96) which are probably him. Firstly he enlists (1891) in the Coldstream Guards as a Regular but is discharged after three months. Father is Walter of Butter Street. Is this him?

He then enlists in the Militia in 1892 giving the same address. He also says he has not served in the military before. It is unclear how long he stays in the Militia. So my guess is that he enlists in the Volunteers as a Gunner at some point and works he way up to Sergeant, rather than being on the permanent staff.

Ken

Offline Shane Cooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 January 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Walter was Harry's brother. Walter must have named one of his sons Harry - which would be these records.
I appreciate you checking into these for me.
Shane

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Following up Ken's input on the Boer War - as a Garrison Artilleryman it would in all probability follow that, had he served in South Africa, he would have served in one of the RGA units that served there but he doesn't appear in any of the nominal rolls of the RGA units to be found on the anglo-Boer War site.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia