Author Topic: Birth record Banbury, Oxfordshire  (Read 10209 times)

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth record Banbury, Oxfordshire
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the birth record of my great great grandmother Lucy Mary Ann Bidmead born abt 1855 in Banbury Oxfordshire. The first record I have of her is the birth certificate of her illegitimate daughter Catherine Eleanor Bidmead dated Sep 1874.  At this time Lucy is in Marylebone London.  I am hoping to trace Lucy Mary Ann Bidmead's parents. I am having no luck on Ancestry.com.au or on the FreeBMD site.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record Banbury, Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »

Hello and Welcome to Rootschat.

Did Lucy marry? if so,  marriage cert.will give her fathers name.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 14 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Is this the family in 1891 living Wadhurst, Sussex

Lucy Marriott  36 bn Banbury, Oxfordshire
 Kate E Marriott  16 bn Marylebone, London
 Charles E Marriott  10 bn Paddington, London
 Maud E Marriott  7 bn Clerkenwell, London
 Beatrice E Marriott  6 bn Borough, London
 Algeron C Marriott  4 bn Wadhurst, Sussex
 Florence L Marriott  1 bn Wadhurst, Sussex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 January 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Marriage at St Mark, Notting Hill
18 June 1876
Charles Marriott  Bachelor   Bricklayer
s/o John Joseph Marriott  Bricklayer
Mary Ann Bidmeade  Spinster 
d/o Samuel Bidmeade  Chair Turner [?]

Both of full age. Both give the same address, 9 [-] Street (Sorry I can't read the name)

Witnessess: Onesiphorus Cox
                   Elizabeth Cox[X]

Onesiphorus Cox married Elizabeth Bidmead at St Mark, Notting Hill 25 December 1873
Elizabeth's father is shown as David Bidmead, farrier furrier.  Witnesses are Lucy Bidmead and John Gill.

In 1881 Elizabeth names her birthplace as High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 January 14 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The only Bidmead record around that time in Banbury St May's registers is a marriage

1858 3rd August
George Johnson (x) 35 wid of Calthorpe Lane son of William lab
to
Catherine Bidmead 34 of Calthorpe lane daughter of David, furrier

There are no baptisms or burials for Bidmeads for 10 years either side of this marriage

However checking with familysearch,  there is a baptism of a Catherine Bidmead in 1824 at SAINT MARYS STREET WESLEYAN,CHEPPING WYCOMBE,BUCKINGHAM  the daughter of David and Lucy

So if Elizabeth was born in Wycombe the daughter of David Bidmead and Catherine was born there daughter of David & Lucy  I am thinking they could be sisters.  Perhaps Catherine had Lucy Mary Ann in about 1855 before her marriage to George Johnson,  she may not have registered the birth!

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 January 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I've changed David Bidmead's occupation to furrier in my previous post, which I think is now correct.

https://familysearch.org/search
Chipping Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Baptism 30 August 1830
Betsy Bidmead
d/o David & Lucy Bidmead
 I think this is probably Elizabeth Bidmead who married Onesiphorus Cox - she is aged 50 in 1881.

David and Lucy Bidmead also baptised children named Isaac Bidmead, Charles Bidmead and John Swan Bidmead (David Bidmead married Lucy Swan 20 July 1820, Wycombe)

Before her marriage to George Jonson, Catherine Bidmead spent several years with a man named Henry Garthwaite, but seems not to have married him.  A  daughter-in-law (ie step-daughter), named Mary Ann Garthwaite who appears in the 1861 census with Catherine and George aged 7 is possibly the same person as Lucy Mary Garthwaite, whose birth was registered in Banbury district in 1853.  She may be the person you are looking for.

(If you would like full census details for 1851 and 1861 I can do them tomorrow, but it's getting a bit late here  :)  )

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 January 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

You have found Lucy Mary Ann's marriage to Charles Marriott. Obviously the reason I could not find it was her first name Lucy was not recorded. The Kate Marriott on the cencus is her illegitimate daughter Catherine Eleanour Bidmead.  The Elizabeth Bidmead you found maybe her cousin rather than her sister if they have different dads.  Now I know her father is Samuel Bidmeade - chair turner I maybe able to trace more of the family.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Ohh nice spot on the relationship with Henry Garthwaite,   Galium   :)

From the registers of St Mary's, Banbury

burial
15 May 1853 Henry John Garthwaite of Calthorpe Lane aged 33

baptisms
1853 May 25th George son of Henry John & Catherine Garthwaite of Calthorpe Lane French Polisher
1853 May 25th Thomsine Elizabeth daughter of Henry John & Catherine Garthwaite of Calthorpe Lane French Polisher
1853 May 25th Samuel Robert son of Henry John & Catherine Garthwaite of Calthorpe Lane French Polisher
1853 July 4th Lucy Mary daughter of Henry John & Catherine Garthwaite of Calthorpe Lane French Polisher

It looks as though Catherine had the children baptised (after the death of Henry) and registered as Garthwaite even though she and Henry John weren't married,  and later they reverted to the name Bidmead I can see a likly George & Samuel Bidmead in later census (they were both Chimney sweeps).  They both give their place of birth as Banbury.  I think it very likly that the Lucy Mary above is the one you are looking for annevicary and that the father Samuel Bidmead on her marriage registration is made up useing her brothers name (I have seen this sort of thing before).

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 January 14 10:41 GMT (UK) »
1841 census

Newland, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

David Bidmead  50  MS [Male Servant]  born in county
Lucy Bidmead    50                                "          "
Catherine Bidmead 15                               "          "
Charles  Bidmead 15                               "         "
Betsy Bidmead     10                               "         "
John  Bidmead      5                                 "         "

There is also a Louisa Bidmead aged 15 employed as a servant in the household of James Furness in High Wycombe. 
[In the 1841 census, ages of anyone over the age of 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5]

I can't see a baptism for Louisa, but a Louisa Bidmead married James Hawes at St John, Notting Hill on 25 December 1852.  Her father is David Bidmead, furrier.  In later censuses this couple show their birthplace as High Wycombe.

1851 census

Oxford Road, Chipping Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Henry Garthwaite head  M  29  French Polisher      Surrey, Lambeth
Catherine Garthwaite wife M 27                            Staffordshire, Bilston*
Samuel Garthwaite     son     2                                "                  "
George Garthwaite     son    10m                               "                   " 
Elizabeth Garthwaite   daur    1m                                Bucks, Wycombe

*I think this is an enumerator's error. Also the reversal of George and Elizabeth's details, as other records indicate that Elizabeth is the elder.. 

1861 census

Calthorpe Lane, Banbury, Oxfordshire

George Johnson        head 29 M  drover                    Northants, Newnham
Catherine Johnson     wife   26 M                               Bucks, High Wycombe
Samuel Garthwaite     S-i-L  12      chimney sweep       Staffs, Bilston
Elizabeth Gathwaite     D-i-L  11                                 Staffs, Bilston
George Garthwaite     S-i-L   10                                  Staffs, Bilston
Mary Ann Garthwaite  D-i-L     7                                 Oxon, Banbury
James Johnson           son     2                                   Oxon, Banbury
Sarah Anne Johnson   daur  1m                                  Oxon, Banbury         

Samuel is possibly the Robert Garthwaite* whose birth was registered in Wolverhampton district in 1848. There is an Elizabeth Garthwaite in Dec q 1849, and George Garthwaite in Dec q 1850, both in Wolverhampton district (which includes Bilston).

Samuel Robert* Bidmead, chimney sweep who appears in later censuses giving his birthplace as Banbury had a daughter named Lucy Mary Ann, born in Banbury district in 1873.

George Bidmead, chimney sweep who appears in later censuses giving his birthplace as Banbury also had a daughter named Lucy Mary Ann, born in 1874.